Against the Wind

drc2076

A couple of hours free today so decided I'd brave the winds and see what I could manage from my nearest accessible ocean rock platform. I decided to only fish with what I could find at the location so on arrival I grabbed a couple of handfuls of cabbage, tossed them into my bait bucket and walked out to the point. I had underestimated the strength of the winds and how bloody cold they were. It wasn't too pleasant standing in the wash and I knew it was only going to be a short session. I was just hoping for something decent to make the hypothermia worthwhile. My first down was a strong one. A good fish on the line! But he ran under the nearest rock ledge and my 6lb leader was no match for it. Bust off. Still, this was encouraging. For the next hour or so it was pretty quiet. So I wandered around the platform trying different spots but no takers. Just about fed up with the wind and the cold I went back to the site of the original bust off. Another strong down, another hook up. This time on 8lb. Fought like hell but managed to steer him away from the ledge this time and was stoked to land this bad boy. Measured 41cm and equalled my luderick PB. Either way the day was now worth the cold. Stuck around for a while longer and managed to also land a 35cm rock kale. A first! The wind was still howling and blowing my float diagonally to the surface so decided to call time and head home to thaw out. Both fish released unharmed. Tight lines.

IMG_0152.JPG

IMG_0153.JPG