Advice Needed

out n about

Fellow Raiders,

I was wondering if some fellow raiders would be able to give me some advice on my boat. I have a 420 Breezeabout (Quintrex Runabout) 98 Model with a 98 Model 35hp Evinrude, I've had the boat for almost 2 years now and fish from Sydney Harbour and Jervis Bay (Husky). As I'm a uni student and working part time I'm still in the process of learning about the boat.

How far out (offshore) do you guy's recommend I can go with this little runabout? It gets me from Cabarita to the heads with no trouble at all. I'm kinda keen to head out with the mates but we just down know how far just incase something happens.

Any advice is appreciated thanks.

Dave

Edited by out n about

If your keen to get out there, then perhaps a tandem trip with another boat to keep you company!

I would say you wouldn't venture too far off shore until you are completely comfortable with your boat and have learnt its handling behaviour. If you hang around the heads like Chris suggested, it will give you a good idea of what your boat can handle, and your still just a stone's throw away from safety or help if needed.

Don't forget your off-shore safety gear! i.e. flares, v-sheet, radio, sounding device, 2 lt of water per person....etc etc....

thanks heap for the advice chris and jo. and yeah jo im pretty good with the safety equipment and dont go anywhere with out it so thats no problem. i always double check with the waterways hand booklet for the safety gear before i head out. once again thanks for the info.

cheers

ive got a 410 runabout similar to yours and mainly fish the bay. once the swell gets over 1m and the chop over 0.5m i start to feel uncomfortable - boats of this size just dont handle it well.

that said, this summer i hope to venture outside of the heads, but will pick my days and watch the bom marine reports carefully prior.

chris.

I personlly find fishing out of the heads smoother than just inside North head getting out is the hairy bit

I reckon your boat would be sweet the tandem idea is great not just the company but also following him also helps :biggrin2:

Edited by WetPatch