Lake Lyell Sunday

Wellzy94

Went fishing with the family at Lake Lyell on Sunday, hoping for my first trout. Cast out a line with powerbait and worms, and flicked SPs for a while. After a dropped fish and a few missed strikes, I'd decided to drop the SPs. Too many snags and not enough hookups!

About halfway through the morning, my brother caught his first trout - 49cm and very skinny. Not long afterwards I caught my first redfin!

The weather was beautiful, and I was stripping layers all morning due to the warmth.

A good day on the water, and another fish off the list for both my brother and I!

Cheers,

Wellzy

IMG_2433.jpg

Resized_20170731_205102.jpeg

IMAG0319.jpg

Well done, congratulations  to both of you  for ticking another species of the list. That brown trout is very thin as it hasn't put on any weight post spawn. Keep up the good work

Thanks PEARLY. I assumed that was the case! Usually a fish that length will weigh a bit over a kilogram, and it was only 0.64! A quick happy snap, and back into the water :) The redfin wasn't nearly so lucky.

Cheers,

Wellzy

well done, was up their a couple of weeks ago and saw plenty of rainbows their and up at Thommos but only managed one. they were in the shallows exhibiting spawning behaviour. Eventually managed to aggravate one into eating a soft plastic , dams are nice and full at the moment

Nice session, he is a skinny Brown, post spawner no doubt.  When did Redfin start showing up in Lyell?  Admittedly I haven't fished it in a couple of years but I did extensively a few years back and never saw or heard of them?

I hope they don't get a major foothold in the lake, it looked to be turning into a top mixed Bass and Trout fishery and those reddies can potentially ruin it!

Cheers

Windy

up Lyell a month ago 4 ansa Seabees comp. hundreds of redfin caught.we got heaps in my boat and a couple of nice browns up to 55 cm. when cleaning the redfin they had millions of eggs in them. Heard from a reliable sorce up there some clown was sick of going there and catching ziltch so he released a heap illegally about 18 months - 2years ago and bragged about it on social media. I personly think as a trophy trout fishery it is now stuffed.

5 hours ago, Matt said:

Nice session, he is a skinny Brown, post spawner no doubt.  When did Redfin start showing up in Lyell?  Admittedly I haven't fished it in a couple of years but I did extensively a few years back and never saw or heard of them?

I hope they don't get a major foothold in the lake, it looked to be turning into a top mixed Bass and Trout fishery and those reddies can potentially ruin it!

Cheers

Windy

The Redfin have really taken over in the last 12 months they came over the wall at Wallace Matt. Speaking to a mate he reckons Lyell will be screwed as a fishery for trout in 3 years once the Redfin  take hold. Shame as it was really coming back as a trout fishery amd great catches were being made in Spring on the weed beds. Only takes one idiot thinking he is doing something right so kids can catch fish amd dumps a few Redfin into the water. How have you been? 

2 hours ago, mayo said:

up Lyell a month ago 4 ansa Seabees comp. hundreds of redfin caught.we got heaps in my boat and a couple of nice browns up to 55 cm. when cleaning the redfin they had millions of eggs in them. Heard from a reliable sorce up there some clown was sick of going there and catching ziltch so he released a heap illegally about 18 months - 2years ago and bragged about it on social media. I personly think as a trophy trout fishery it is now stuffed.

I agree it's stuffed mate alright! 

19 hours ago, luderick -angler said:

The Redfin have really taken over in the last 12 months they came over the wall at Wallace Matt. Speaking to a mate he reckons Lyell will be screwed as a fishery for trout in 3 years once the Redfin  take hold. Shame as it was really coming back as a trout fishery amd great catches were being made in Spring on the weed beds. Only takes one idiot thinking he is doing something right so kids can catch fish amd dumps a few Redfin into the water. How have you been? 

Heya mate, man thats depressing!  First Wallace and now Lyell, some good Trout waters getting reddy busted.  Might have to stick to TCD. 

Been good although been a lean year for chasing Trout, only been up to the Snowy Mountains once.  Been honing my Bream'ing skills again as I might come out of retirement and re-enter the tournament circuit again after a 6 year break.

You been getting out?

Windy