Coloured Mono

GioSparro

Was just wondering if anyone here uses coloured fishing line. I bought some Diawa sealine line as it had the best mm/lb ratio and was relatively cheap. I've just been using it alone but was wondering if anyone knows if the colour disappears or if fish cant see certain colours etc. I know Fluro helps but I want to keep things very simple. Do i really need Fluro and if so would 40cm from swivel to hook be enough?

(The picture im attaching is just a google image example, Im only using 10lb line but the colour is the same)

sealine.png

Edited by GioSparro
Spelling

For under 20lb I prefer clear fluoro for a little bit better abrasion resistance. For over 20lb I like a medium hardness, plain mono over fluoro. Do I think fluoro is less visible than mono? No. Do you 'need' fluoro? No.

I tend to prefer clear lines, but I wouldn't have a problem using straight mono with a little bit of colour like the one you have pictured if I wanted to keep things simple like you said. 

It's very hard to prove if colour makes any difference, and even if it does it's probably minor.

Edited by Roylo

All my mono lines are Platypus Pretest in flouro colour (yellow). I use clear mono or flourocarbon leaders. The flouro mono helps ME see the line better. I believe that below the water it makes no difference to the fish.

For braid, I have just started using colour coded braid. The colour changes every 10 metres and there are indicator marks at every metre. Again, I use a clear mono or flourocarbon leader.