The past month or so

jdanger

Been lucky enough to get out almost weekly for the past month. 

August has definitely seen the fishing get tougher - bream numbers and size have dropped and the salmon have pretty well moved out of the upper Parramatta bays compared with July.

The chopper tailor feel like they're back with quite a few caught around the rose Bay shallows. Also managed a couple of pike in the same area - seem to be a few people catching them at the moment. Not a lot of luck on the flathead as yet but the odd smaller specimen has popped up. Spring's not far off though.

Almost everything was caught on a z-man grub but had a bit of luck with gulps too and also managed a chopper on a home made fly (a Saltwater first for me).

Nice vid jdanger.  I have been having the exact opposite on the Parra to you this month, more Bream this month than last and better size too.  Some quality Flathead and I got some Salmon well up the river on Sunday!  Only think i haven't found much of this year are Trevally.

Amazing how we can be fishing the same waters and get totally opposite results, I was thinking the same thing last month, I was really struggling to find fish and it looked like you were getting a few.

Cheers

Windy

Thanks guys!

10 hours ago, Matt said:

Nice vid jdanger.  I have been having the exact opposite on the Parra to you this month, more Bream this month than last and better size too.  Some quality Flathead and I got some Salmon well up the river on Sunday!  Only think i haven't found much of this year are Trevally.

Amazing how we can be fishing the same waters and get totally opposite results, I was thinking the same thing last month, I was really struggling to find fish and it looked like you were getting a few.

Cheers

Windy

Fishing's a fickle mistress Windy! I was fishing the Parra again on Sunday and it was by far the quietest session I've had in a while. No a salmon to be seen and I only managed one lonely flatty. My hang over may have had something to do with it but the fishing seemed to have been trending down for me anyway.

How far up the river did you have to go for the salmon (no need to be too specific)? Was hoping for one final crack but thought I'd missed 'em. The one in the video was from a couple of weeks back and even he seemed like a bit of a straggler.

Side note about the conditions on Sunday: Was the first time in ages the water has been as coloured. We found it to be a similar algae green as you get in summer. Recent warm weather maybe? Heaps of decent sized jelly prawns near the surface on the shore edges - nothing seemed to be harassing them though.

1 hour ago, Regan said:

how big was the salmon as i couldnt see the tape properly and what did you get it on?

Salmon went 55cm and was taken on a Z-man Grub.

1 hour ago, ARC H said:

Zman grubs again eh:D

The fish just keep eating 'em! I've been making an effort to mix it up but can't seem to catch much other than rocks at the moment.

Has to be one of the top 2 curl-tails of all time.

Heya 

12 minutes ago, jdanger said:

How far up the river did you have to go for the salmon (no need to be too specific)? 

At the mouth of Homebush Bay, Wentworth Point.  I was actually looking for Trevally as it can be a good spot for them there but there was a bust up and hey presto a couple of small Salmon.  I actually haven't got that many of them this year but have seen them!

Later in the afternoon I was at Iron Cove along the Russel Lea shoreline and got some nice Bream along there.  Good little shoreline for Bream but the rocks are deadly there now, so slippery!

This weekend might be good for Salmon, high tides on dawn and dusk and they might push up with that tide.  Also think it might be a good tide to hit some of the canals and creeks around see if some nice Bream are pushing up them.

Cheers

Windy

On 17/08/2017 at 8:14 PM, ARC H said:

Just noticed the jig head on the grubs 

Hidden weight?

thats what i use

I've only just gotten around to giving 'em a go. Don't mind em, but I find it harder to rig the plastic straighter and sometimes find you end up with a cup face on the z-mans which mean they don't seem straight. Might just take some getting used to.

On 17/08/2017 at 7:16 PM, Matt said:

Heya 

At the mouth of Homebush Bay, Wentworth Point.  I was actually looking for Trevally as it can be a good spot for them there but there was a bust up and hey presto a couple of small Salmon.  I actually haven't got that many of them this year but have seen them!

Later in the afternoon I was at Iron Cove along the Russel Lea shoreline and got some nice Bream along there.  Good little shoreline for Bream but the rocks are deadly there now, so slippery!

This weekend might be good for Salmon, high tides on dawn and dusk and they might push up with that tide.  Also think it might be a good tide to hit some of the canals and creeks around see if some nice Bream are pushing up them.

Cheers

Windy

Wouldn't have expected the sambos further west than I was, but there ya go. Yet to give Iron Cove a red-hot go, might end up with a bit of free time this afternoon so your idea of an evening session may well be on the cards. Let you know how I go in this wind.