Lake Parramatta carp

MattGb1989

Hey Raiders,

Had a few hours free today so after a Google maps session decided to head to Lake Parramatta to see if I could hook up some carp and check for potential bass. Took two rods with me one with to aim of carp and one for lures for the bass. First up was pretty quiet but made my way along the lake towards the northern most time where it closes up alot and managed a few bites and a few close calls but nothing landed on the carp set up but as I am a newbie when it comes to lures and bass fishing in a whole got nothing with the lures. Will look at heading back when the water gets warmer and hopefully the fish will be ready to play.

Brownie

From my experience carp are the most annoying fish to catch on earth. They are ridiculously skittish, fussy, lazy and barely eat. I spent hours going for carp, with diddly squat to show for it. I eventually just gave up on them. However, as murphy's law would require, I did end up catching my first carp eventually, but while going for bass. It was a 20kg carp, which took 45 minutes to reel in with 10lb bass gear. Caught it on a live earth worm and a size 4 hook.

30 minutes ago, Aardvarking said:

From my experience carp are the most annoying fish to catch on earth. They are ridiculously skittish, fussy, lazy and barely eat. I spent hours going for carp, with diddly squat to show for it. I eventually just gave up on them. However, as murphy's law would require, I did end up catching my first carp eventually, but while going for bass. It was a 20kg carp, which took 45 minutes to reel in with 10lb bass gear. Caught it on a live earth worm and a size 4 hook.

20kg geez that's a monster lul. Yeah I've heard that they are hard to catch but we'll worth it. 

Cheers for the info.

Brownie 

my most successful carp method (form 14 years ago on the murray) was corn kernels as bait unweighted and hold a large loop of slack line between my fingers letting the fish pick up the bait and take a few meters  of line without feeling any weight carp are very cunning once they have seen a few hooks

8 hours ago, Aardvarking said:

Yeah that was my set up, it was my first time using lures and going for carp so not to disheartened. It's funny I would have never thought to use corn as bait. There's a few lakes and ponds around my area that I think I will hit up next but lake parramata defently looks the good once the water warms up.

5 hours ago, Aardvarking said:

I could barely lift the thing out of the water, took two people to do it. It's belly was so huge I'm honestly surprised it could swim.

Yeah I can imagen. Would have been an insane fight and a top session. 

1 hour ago, Aussie Carp Fisho said:

Australia's largest recorded Carp was 19.7Kg in Centennial Park, Second largest was caught by a mate of mine from the Sydney Coarse Angling club at just under that (A few hundred grams under) in Lake Parramatta a few years ago. Parramatta River & Lake Parramatta both hold plenty or Carp. & they are a great sports fish. I used to spend my days sitting on the banks of Parra River fishing for them when I was unable to work. Even now I will happily spend a day relaxing by the water to catch a couple. Carp Fishing is not about catching a heap in a short time, Its about relaxing and catching 1 or 2 big fish. My biggest to date was caught on the Nepean River at 75cm around 18Lb. 

Yeah GG I'll have to head back soon and give it another go. 

Forget corn , carp are not the brightest of fish but they will avoid it once they see a few of their mates disappear and never return .easy baits to try are tined chick peas luncheon meat and peanuts 

goggle the "knotless knot" and use a hair rig I know it goes against nature not putting the bait on the hook but it does work 

as for burley soak mixed birdseed in boiling water add sugar and leave for 48 hours , ( dried chick peas and peanuts also need soaking or boiling ) add coles bread crumbs and mix into a ground bait 

everything you need can be bought from coles or Woolworths, also you can add small amounts of salt to your bait carp love it 

hey mate,

As PomPom said, those rigs worl really well with boilies or dog/cat food. In Lake parramatta however, the carp follow the ducks. so wherever the ducks are, they will be carp - just be careful not to hook a duck!

Most of my success came from just burleying with bread then pitching a bread fly at them. Also, the hotter the weather, the harder they fight!

Use light leader, small hooks - i use mosquito hooks, let them take the bait on loose drag then tighten, burley a spot for a few days.

Cheers