12 pin wiring

Bloggsy

Need some information on 12 pin  socket wiring please. For an Easytow trailer with electric over Dexter hydraulic breakaway brakes the wiring diagram states that pin 8 is battery supply (30amp) and pin 10 is earth (30 amp) My question is, is this for charging the breakaway battery and if so that means I will have to fit a DC to DC charger on board the tow vehicle (it is fitted with a smart alternator) but if I was to charge the break away battery with a battery charger regularly can I do away with these 2 connections.

You probably don't want to hear this but - No. Unfortunately not. Based on your location I presume you are towing in NSW - so you are under NSW regulations. I also presume your rig exceeds 2T as you have gone to the trouble of installing a break-away / hydraulic set up.  From memory the rules in NSW require that:

i) the trailer breakaway battery is constantly being charged....and

ii) that from your normal driving position you are able to ascertain the breakaway battery charge (ie you need a warning or visible signal if the breakaway battery loses charge).

This has been discussed previously on the forums ... I'll try and dig up the post reference.

Cheers

Zoran

Took a while to find it... but here it is:

This is the extract from the RMS spec sheet.... note the underlined section - in Sydney the HVIS stations are clamping down on ensuring that the breakaway battery is on a charging circuit and that you can ascertain from the normal driving position that battery's condition.

"The Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulation 2007 requires that all trailers with a Gross Trailer Mass (GTM)
exceeding 2 tonnes be provided with a braking system which will operate automatically and promptly upon breakaway
of the trailer from its towing vehicle, and that such application should be maintained for at least fifteen minutes.
Such trailers, if fitted with electrically actuated braking systems, must be equipped with a device which applies the
brakes in the event of a breakaway from the towing vehicle and maintains application for at least fifteen minutes. It is
essential therefore, that an energy source, such as a battery, be carried on the trailer and that means be provided to
ensure that the battery is maintained in a fully energised condition...
."

Here's the original post...way back in 2014... 

Also I have attached a wiring diagram if you need it....

Cheers

Zoran

JTF-Wiring-Diagram.jpg

I'll leave that to other raiders whom may have a more modern tow vehicle  - but I have read in another forum (caravan related) that some folks have installed DC DC chargers to ensure additional batteries are getting adequate charge ...whilst others have had the vehicle manufacturer disable the smart alternator for a minimal service cost to get full charge out of alternator at all times.  This option may be vehicle manufacturer dependent ...and it will cost a bit more fuel per week. Best of luck.

Zoran

Reply from Technical department at Redarc:

Thank you for your enquiry.

Your 2010 NT Pajero has a temperature compensating alternator which will charge your break away battery without the use of a DC-DC charger.

If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me

Best regards,