Botany Bay tips?

Aardvarking

Unfortunately my kayak is going to be out of commission for a little while, so I was planning on doing some land based fishing at the end of my exams next week. I was gonna go to middle harbour like normal, but I have a prior engagement in Bexley, near Brighton-Le-Sands, and I figured I might have a crack while I'm there.

I have never been to Botany Bay in my life so I was wondering, is it any good to go with soft plastics to chase flathead, bream and jewies this time of year in Botany Bay? I was planning on fishing light, because I have to carry a guitar and my fishing gear home on the bus, so I was hoping there was a good place to flick some lures landbased without needing to bring the whole kit and caboodle.

Another thing, what is the water quality like in Botany Bay? My mum is only letting me go on the condition that I bring something back for dinner, but I'm happy with the 2 legs I have now, and don't need to grow a third one if possible.

Edited by Aardvarking

To answer your Q, yes you absolutely can fish shorebased casting lures at Brighton and in fact, anywhere along the western shoreline of Botany Bay from Cooks R to San Souci.  BUT it might just be a little too early in the year yet even though there was a report here on Fishraider from ~2wks ago where they slayed the flatties.  I flogged the water for 4hrs last Sunday for zero flathead.  It wasn't at Brighton though.

18 minutes ago, Ozzybass said:

To answer your Q, yes you absolutely can fish shorebased casting lures at Brighton and in fact, anywhere along the western shoreline of Botany Bay from Cooks R to San Souci.  BUT it might just be a little too early in the year yet even though there was a report here on Fishraider from ~2wks ago where they slayed the flatties.  I flogged the water for 4hrs last Sunday for zero flathead.  It wasn't at Brighton though.

Great, thanks for the info. It'll definitely be too cold for topwater, so I might try some blades and big soft plastics along the bottom for flatties.

That's all I use for flatties there.  I guess I'm only targeting flatties when I go there.  Tip: most of my flatties come fishing from the groynes or in close proximity to them.  Much easier to land them when you're on the sand though!