Strange fish behaviour

Holls

Strange thing last night. Sitting by Burrill lake towards sunset, a large fish swam into the shallows and just wallowed there. Thought it was a stingray, but on closer inspection, it was a VERY large whiting. Quite lethargic, it started to dart away but then turned and came up, almost beaching itself. I lifted it out of the water, it seemed stunned, or close to death, but strong tremor body movements. Very fat, very healthy looking, nothing in gills or throat. It was going to die, so I killed, scaled and filleted it (thought it might have a hook in the gut, but no).  Any idea why it beached itself? Seen this before? (Went down this morning in case there were others - some lake event - but no other fish.)

Could be anything, old age? Sickness? Stress. 

I was always told not to eat anything that was sick or dieing. Once had a huge John Dory float up next to us when we were fishing was still alive but like your whiting was going to die. We left it for the scavengers. 

The logic to not eat dead or dieing animals to me is sound. I would not eat it. Too risky. 

2 hours ago, Holls said:

Strange thing last night. Sitting by Burrill lake towards sunset, a large fish swam into the shallows and just wallowed there. Thought it was a stingray, but on closer inspection, it was a VERY large whiting. Quite lethargic, it started to dart away but then turned and came up, almost beaching itself. I lifted it out of the water, it seemed stunned, or close to death, but strong tremor body movements. Very fat, very healthy looking, nothing in gills or throat. It was going to die, so I killed, scaled and filleted it (thought it might have a hook in the gut, but no).  Any idea why it beached itself? Seen this before? (Went down this morning in case there were others - some lake event - but no other fish.)

There was obviously something not quite right with it. There is no way I would have eaten it!

Huh!  I had exactly the same thing happen in June this year on the Lane Cove R.  I was finishing a session on the yak and less than 100m from the take out when I noticed a very large whiting flapping about in around a foot of water.  I picked it up and could see no obvious injury.  It was beauty and surpasses any PB whiting I've caught.  I threw it back.

SickWhiting.JPG

Edited by Ozzybass
spelling error