Beach worming

Tam

Hi all,

i want to know what the best times are and where to go and try to learn the art of catching my own beach worms.

is beach worming all year round or is it just during the summer months in dec jan and feb?

I tried at North Cronulla and moved to South Cronulla on Saturday during a run out tide but failed to raise any beach worms. I just think there wasn’t any there as it was abit windy and the sand was abit of mixed gravel type.

Yes I’ve read the sticky worming thread at the top of the main page.

Thanks Tam

Hi Tam,

I'm no expert but i think you've answered it yourself - I've found that they don't like when its windy and prefer more sandy beaches than coarser rocky/shelly type.

Not sure if they're more dormant in the cooler months though?

I'm not very good at it and i have heard that they do not like southerlies but i'm not sure. I think you would be better off up at Wanda than North Cronulla and South Cronulla. I have seen them at wanda quite a bit but not at North or South Cronulla. Low tide is better but i'm not sure about time of year or if the end of the falling or start of the rising is better for the worms. 

quieter beaches are better they really pick up vibrations and go to ground, either low tide for the giant slimies and kings or high tide for the beachies are when you get your biggest worms 

a stingray draggged behind your car for a km or 2 to rub the skin off make the best berley

I always aim to go worming when the tides running out; When there's swell and plenty of movement on the shorebreak try focus on the flatter sections of the beach so the water runs off for longer. If theres not much wave action however, try find a slightly angled section of beach as that's where the most water movement will be. Also try start as high up the beach as you can to prevent walking over the area you're trying to bring them up from.

I buy a pack of bottle squid and take a couple out to use as hand baits, then leave the rest outside overnight in a net or stocking so it works up a nice smell. Squid is an awesome hand bait too cause it doesn't break apart unlike pillies or prawns

If they don't come up straight away, persist in the same spot for a couple more waves before moving on, sometimes they take a while to catch on to the scent. A few things I know they definitely don't like are strong winds, and the presence of sand crabs.