PB Flattie

Koalaboi

Since changing over from SPs to live poddies, my flathead fishing results have improved greatly.

Fishing in Tuggerah Lakes on Tuesday I scored four nice fish: the biggest my PB at 86.5cm. She was huge! Despite the urgings of one feller I let her go: I had a feed anyway and the last time I kept a big girl I felt guilty and she wasn't that good on the tooth anyway.

I wish I had a picture!

KB

21 minutes ago, BIGG DADDA TREVS said:

Nice Job mate, great flatty at high 80s. Nice fight? Just a quick question, how do u get your poddies? Thx

mate down at JB we used to catch them with a 2L bottle of soda. cut an oval window in the side of the bottle fill it with sand and some rocks to keep it down put some bread in there once the mullet are in there just get it out of the water happy days live bait 

I catch the poddies using two of the commercial plastic cylinders available for around $12 to 19 each depending on where you go.

Find a creek entering a larger body of water and set the traps..I use white bread and a couple of tablespoons of breadcrumbs. A string tied to the trap and toss them out into the water and sit and read for a while. Pull them in and transfer poddies to bucket with a battery powered aerator then take them home and connect to a 240 volt fish tank air pump overnight to save the batteries. I did that on Monday arvo for my Tuesday morning fish and got up Tuesday morning to find them all dead because I didn't switch on the power to the aerator. I was going to give up but got some more poddies and very glad I did!

The plastic traps work a treat but they are brittle and assembling and disassembling them requires care or the catches will break

They seem better at going into the traps when the sun is on the water and there's not too much wind. If there's been a bit of fresh that seems to put them off the chew too.

KB

I fish from the shore and drift the live poddy down the channels on the runout under a float exactly the same as my blackfish set up but with a live poddy on a circle hook.

15lb mainline and 8lb fluorocarbon trace plus a 1/0 to 2/0 hook through the lips of the poddy.

Edited by Koalaboi