Hi raiders,

want to buy another general purpose rod suit for beach and river fishing. Was considering a 8ft due to convience. I am thinking about diawa aird x rod or shimano impact nano but would love further opinion about ether rod or others. Any info on a 8ft rod would be great thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

An 8ft wouldn't be a bad compromise - though a bit on the short side for beach work.

I personally reckon you'd be better off suited to 2 rods - something around that 7ft mark for estuary fishing, and if you want a crossover rock/beach rod then something in that 9-9'6 mark is perfect.

Obviously for beach the longer the better - 12ft is my go to length if i'm just bait fishing as it gives you a bit more clearance with the breaking waves when the swell is up.
But if you want a really versatile rod the 9-9'6 is long enough for bait fishing from the beach and its the perfect size for spinning metals & lures off the beach and rocks, i find anything longer starts to get a bit more awkward to use lures with.

What sort of fish do you intend on targeting in the river and on the beach?

I have a 6ft and 8ft. I find the 8ft not quite big enough for the beach and not quite small enough for a boat or near obstacles (like bridges). The 6ft is dreamy for boat and crowded spots, obviously can't do much at the beach, but unless I'm attempting beaches I don't bother with the 8 ft. And when I do bother with the 8ft, I wish it were longer. 

Both are 2pc rods, and there's a difference in portability. 

Maybe get a nice rod for the fishing you do/like the most and get  a cheap one in the other length? I reckon a cheap rod is less frustrating than a struggle. 

Interested to hear what you decide.