After some pointers on jigging newcastle and surrounds

Mitch02

Gday fishos

just hoping to get some advice on jigging got myself a rod for Christmas abu Garcia veritas jigging rod and abu s60 reel with 30lb braid got a few lures to get started  I go out of Swansea newcastle Nelson bay and Terrigal, what should I look for as far as depths structure water color temps etc etc no particular target fish just want to go enjoy myself got a 490 haines slc

My advice is to start with a small jig over reef so you get the hang of jigging and catching on them. You will be amazed at the variety of fish you will catch, many you probably have never seen or caught before. This will also build confidence that you are doing it correctly.

They work really well on Pelagics and we have had some pretty good snapper sessions on them as well. We go to spot X marks and jig. Sometimes bait is more productive and sometimes jigs  are. I find jigs more effective than plastics in deep water. We have even used them to catch flathead with good effectiveness. 

For flathead use a inchiku style jig and slowly slowly wind off the bottom. Has to be a slow drift or it does not seem to work as well. You can also fast jig the inchikus up the water Column for Kings and Samson fish. 

A new style of jig which is being used hard out in NZ is the Kabura or slider. My brother in law got me some for Xmas and I am very keen to try. 

mate port stephens would be the choice of venue..heaps of reef everywhere..Swansea is virtual desert for reef till you hit 90mtrs..terrigal is pretty good with reef territory to the south and north..the water should come good in the next two weeks then you should be able to chase a few...where are you from in the newy area..rick

On 1/4/2018 at 5:13 PM, rickmarlin62 said:

also  not a ramp for solo launching  ..nowhere to tie up to and 100 mtrs uphill to carpark..suit driving on trailer quickly to counter water movement..rick

Ended up going out off Norah head I can see how people would get into a sticky situation there in the wrong conditions, conditions for us were pretty well as good as it’s going to get so All went smooth got onto a few rat kings but not from jigging but hey it’s All practice