Jervis Bay Bonnies, Mack Tuna and Kingies

Toilor

Recently moved to Jervis Bay from Canberra. Promised the better half I'd only fish 5 days a week. Headed out this morning before work with a 1.5 hr window of opportunity. My standard approach is 12 foot heritage, tss4, 20lb line and 40grm knight retrieved flat biscuit. Bit challenging getting much time in the strike zone with swell and wind but managed a couple of bonnies and a small kingy around 60cm I guessed.  Figured by the time I stuffed around measuring it thrashing around on the rocks only to find it to be under a quick release would be a better option. Another small king saved his fight for the last 5 metres and took my lure, attached it to a rock and swam happily away, no doubt to grow enormous and become a master of his domain.  I've managed a few bonnies most mornings to around 55cm, Mack tuna to 65cm a few Tailor and Kingies including one keeper at 77cm.  The state of the rocks some mornings is disgraceful and I wonder how people can visit such a stunning place and leave all their rubbish behind.  I bring a bucket now and take as much as I can be bothered picking up.  As I develop RSI from constantly spinning I'm thinking I might try some live bait to tempt my dream fish, the 1 metre Kingy off the rocks.  

P.s. Any boaties in the area looking for enthusiastic crew feel free to hit me up!! 

20180405_072253.jpg

20180324_073647.jpg

• Like 1

What a generous soul you are. Not only giving the better half 2 days a week but also cleaning up after the pigs that (thoughtlessly) litter such a wonderful environment. Top job, young fella! Seems like you have a fair shot at achieving your goal too...keep at it. Good luck, bn

Great report mate. I do the same take a big bucket and cart out the rubbish. This time of year on the rocks try using garfish on a gang hook (size the hooks to the fish) this helps heaps the garfish are around in numbers so they make good cast retrieve options. 30lb braid with 50-60lb flouro leader. Cheers Stu

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2018 at 5:26 PM, Farmboy said:

I just moved here. So haven’t fished much. Any advice would be great please! 

You're welcome to join me for a session on the Murrumbidgee River. Summer is better but there's a small window of opportunity at present while there's still a bit of water in the river. Let me know, bn