No jewies but a good feed

Oli

I had planned to fish the low tide at night for jewfish. with high hopes, I arrived at a wharf in mosman at around noon. the plan was to catch some yakkas and squid for bait. as I expected, there were no yakkas around, but there were loads of garfish. after I had caught a few gars, I saw somebody catch a yakka. I was never so happy excited to see someone catch a yakka, and within minutes, there was enough to last me the day. 

I decided to try for squid, but I wasn't feeling so confident as the water was murky. a few hours of squidding and I didn't even get a single hit. one of my mates tried working a lure on the bottom, and that resulted in a nice 40cm flatty. the sky was getting darker, so I felt like chucking out a yakka on a float rig. I had a few hits, and when I checked on the bait, the whole tail had been taken off, which meant that the fish eating the yakka were probably tailor. I hooked the next unfortunate yakka near the tail instead, but didn't get any hits.

before sunset, I tied some jewie rigs. now I couldn't see the sun, and there were two livies on the bottom. very soon, I had something on. however, from the way it was pulling, it was either a squid or an octopus. I saw it on the surface, and it was a giant calamari, definitely more than 1kg. the inevitable happened, though, and it got off. bugger. would've been great jew bait or even greater eating. I fished until 9:30pm with no results. at least I had a good feed for the next day.

•  

fish.jpg

• Like 2