Midweek ( Wednesday April 2) Fish

fragmeister

Hi Raiders,

Haven't been out for a few months due to work commitments but I did find the time to get out today.

It was a relaxing day but not that productive.

Caught some slimeys and yakkas for live bait and headed out to Long Reef just on dawn.

Anchored up along The Wall and set out a burley trail and floated down a pilchard prospecting for a snapper or perhaps a hungry king.. Also had a live slimey out under a balloon. No takers after 2 hours on the live bait and pickers just kept devastating the pilchards.

Downrigged a slimey and ran up and down the wall 3  or four times with no takers. There was not much on the sounder.

I was contemplating whether to stay there for the change of tide or head off to the Sydney Harbour FAD also for the change of tide (9:53). There was no wind and bugger all swell so I decided to head off to the FAD. The water temp at the FAD was 22.1 . The current was not running particularly fast.

There were scattered marks all over the FAD on the sounder and out to about 50 metes so I went in close and drifted past with a livey set down at about 20 meters and also tossed a half pilchard towards the FAD.  The pilchard was hit straight away by a juvenile Dollie of about 40 cm. Meanwhile I had drifted about 50 meters from the FAD and the livey was looking a bit nervous. Soon after hooked another Dollie. This time probably around 60 cm.

I mentally noted how far  from the FAD and at what depth fish were on the sounder and I drifted from in close to the FAD up to about 100 meters away. adjusting the depth of the live bait as I went.

I repeated this a few times with the same result until about 11am when the wind came up and headed off to the Artificial Reef . The Artificial looked good on the sounder but it wasn't long before I discovered that it was chockers with Jackets. I jigged for a while, dropped a livey down but I just foul hooked  leather jackets so I gave up and headed back inside.

I anchored off Sow and Pigs and, typical of this time of the year there were a lot of Trevally about but undersized at the moment.

Like I said not particularly productive but I enjoyed getting away from work for the day.

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1