Mountain Trout

Guest Target

I dont normally post verbose reports about my fishing antics, but sometimes those special events prompt you to share them with everyone.

As part of my job, I occasionaly get asked to inspect roads and carparks all around the place for the most effective means of repair/replacement. On this occasion, I was aksed to inspect a car park in Guyra - in the New Engalnd region. This just happens to be where I grew up and learnt to fish with my father in the local trout streams, so this trip was planned to give me a chance to do all my work, then head off to my old haunts and have a fish.

So on Thursday, Left work at 2.30, drove home, packed the clothes, went to grab a spin and fly rod only to find the the reel on my ultralight spin gear was seized :( oh well got the 3-4kg spin instead and headed off. 6 FIXED SPEED CAMERAS LATER i got to Tamworth about 8.30 had dinner and checked into a motel - I just couldnt be bothered driving any futher - I'll do the other 1 1/2 hours in the morning. Anyway did all my site inspections in Guyra om Friday and then headed east towards my old trout streams.

Now I have not fished for trout in probably 12 years, and its been 15 years since I fished these rivers. they seem almost sacred since my father passed away, and the memorys have lasted long. But the urge to remonise and chase mountain trout still runs strong. I got to the chosen stream, pulled up at the gate and walked to the water. Long ago all my collection of celta lures went missing, and I had some home made spinners ready for action. These spinners are actually smaller than a #1 celta and do not cast overly well, but snuck up to the first pool, less than 50m from the road and put in a cast, all of the 20 feet possible with a light lure on 3kg gear.

Well first cast, sure enough, the home made lures are spinning nicely, a big flash at the lure, a solid take and I'm ON - Holly sh#t - is it that easy ????????? (no not realy) I had truely forgotten how hard a trout will go, we used to fish with 4pd mono and sloppy fibreglass rods - imagine my surprise with braid and a graphite rod - trout go twice as hard as I remember. A few minutes later, after some inspiring runs in shallow water - tails throwing water everywhere, I craddle a 45cm fat male mountain rainbow trout taken from a pool smaller than your average lounge room. A guestimate of weight at just under a kg, and a few photos and I try and swim the fish back to life for a release. Too long out of the water, the first release the fish turns belly up, and I continue to swim the fish for another 5 minutes before it makes a full recovery ands swims off strongly to live another day. WOW. Might just put another cast into this pool and see what else is available.... next cast, could have fallen over - a short strike - ther are TWO fish in this pool! a few more casts with no more action and I move downstream.

Long story cut short, I caught 5 fish over the next 3 hours, from a 15cm model to the average 30cm for this area, and the first fish going 45cm and just under a kg - which believe it or not, in 5 years of fishing this river is one of the biggest fish caught by me. You do have to remember that most of the river is only 3m wide and 50cm deep. One fish in particular from a pool that was about 4m long was the biggest challenge... After two short strikes on spinners, I though this fish has to wise up sooner or later that this bit of metal with a trebble hook is not food, so I gave it a break for a few minutes, a drink and a ciggie, then went back to the pool, sure enough a few casts later a nice 30cm trout is hooked up and tearing down the rapids.

A glance at the watch shows the time is getting away, and with another 600km before I get home, I think its about time to leave. I hit the pacific highway near Coffs and turn south , only to encounter another few speed cameras, more road works and a 6 hour drive home. Finally pulling into the driveway at 9.30 pm, I dragged my sorry ar#e inside and into bed - I got to go trout fishing more often.

BTW, whats with the speed cameras on the New England and Pacific Highway, I think I counted 10 in the trip !!!

Photos yet to come, I have to get to work and download before I can post.

Adrian

Thanks Mark, it was a bit of going back to the roots fishing.

I cant remember a better day on the water for memories and fish. Got sunburnt to hell, drove 800km in the day, and caught some nice fish.

Amazing that after that long, you still remember the basics like fishing each pool upstream, looking for the holding spots, and actually getting strkes in the spots that you think fish are going to be. I probably had at least 5 short strikes and a few dropped fish, so on top of 5 fish caught, it was an action packd few hours.

One of the best things though is that the fish are still there after such a long dry spell (and they are still all there swimming for someone else to catch)

Adrian

Thanks Guys

Ken - was definately glad to be home that night, way too much driving when tired and sunburnt.

As promissed, the photos are here.

The first fish

post-24-1131917853_thumb.jpg

A nice little fish from a small pool

post-24-1131917882_thumb.jpg

They do grow small up here

post-24-1131917908_thumb.jpg

The lures that made it happen, two home made spinners and a Killalure. Makes it real sweet when you catch fish on home made lures.

post-24-1131917933_thumb.jpg

Adrian

Great report Adrian. Pics are excellent as well. :thumbup:

I know how you feel about the speed camera's. The :wife: and I go up to Coffs a fair bit to visit relatives, so I always have to remind myself of the camera's. The highway patrol are pretty active up that way as well, and have nearly busted me a few times for lead footing. :ranting2:

Shane

:1fishing1:

Edited by madsmc

Guest bluecod

Adrian - good report mate.

Isn't it sweet to go back to your roots and find everything is still in order!

The paddocks I used to play in as a kid have long ago been subdivided, however the first serious fishing spot Dad took me to, about 40 years ago, still fires up :thumbup:

Isn't it sweet to go back to your roots and find everything is still in order!

The paddocks I used to play in as a kid have long ago been subdivided, however the first serious fishing spot Dad took me to, about 40 years ago, still fires up :thumbup:

Too True George

Strange thing is, that even after this drought, that particular waterway fished better last week than I remember from 15 years ago. The number of missed strikes, although mainly from small fish was very encouraging. I think alot of strikes were missed as the rod I was using was a little too stiff (the ultralight gear was out of action), combine that with braid and I think any strike from me was ripping the lure out of the fishes mouths.

Adrian

Well done Adrian. That fish on your first cast would have been a welcome surprise I bet.

The speed cameras on the new england are a bit over the top. From about Scone onwards it feels like you're passing one every ten kays! I think they go all the way to the qld border from memory???

Tim

First fish, first cast, first cast with the homemade spinners.... well actually, I did stop about 30km short of my destination at a little creek that had a sign (tourist sign) saying FISH..... Didnt do any good there, the water was even too small for my liking. So technically it wasnt the first cast for the day, just the first cast on the creek I had planned on fishing.

Mate, we'll have to get back out on the water soon, have done a few mods to the boat in the past few weeks to make it more fishable and HAVE to get out and test it properly :) drop me a line.

Adrian