Whiting Beach Tips ?

Fishing.Hooked

Hey Guys,

I'm thinking of going for a fish this Thursday night off whiting beach (Mosman Sydney) -  has anyone been there and if so what should l be chasing in the conditions at the moment. High tide is at 7pm (1.72m) - I'm also fairly new to fishing but loving every bit of it!!! Wish l got into it earlier :)

Hope some of you guys can shed some light on possible rigs etc! 

Kind Regards,
** Fishing Hooked**

10 hours ago, Fishing.Hooked said:

Hey Guys,

I'm thinking of going for a fish this Thursday night off whiting beach (Mosman Sydney) -  has anyone been there and if so what should l be chasing in the conditions at the moment. High tide is at 7pm (1.72m) - I'm also fairly new to fishing but loving every bit of it!!! Wish l got into it earlier :)

Hope some of you guys can shed some light on possible rigs etc! 

Kind Regards,
** Fishing Hooked**

G'day I haven't fished there for a few years but have fished there plenty of times from both the shore and in boat. The main species encountered there are Whiting(of course!) and Bream, with Bream actually more common than the Whiting. Best rig is enough sinker to get out 30-40 metres sitting above a really small bead(to stop sinker 'wedging' on swivel/knot,) then swivel and about 40-50 cm of light line around 3-4 kg for a leader(fluorocarbon will get you more bites re visibility even in dark) then a size 2 or 4 hook- 'bait-holder' type with small barbs on hook shank will work best with either worms or prawns as best bait giving you a chance at both those species. There are occasional Flathead and Tailor. Small Red Bream are a nuisance in the summer months. Alternative rig if using pilchards as bait(not for Whiting) is swivel,then pea size or next size larger/smaller running straight onto hook. For this rig use suicide(octopus) pattern 1/0-2/0 and back 1/3-1/4 of pilchard best and easiest to rig. Good tide to go there best of luck, hope to see some fishy pictures. Cheers Waza

6 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

G'day I haven't fished there for a few years but have fished there plenty of times from both the shore and in boat. The main species encountered there are Whiting(of course!) and Bream, with Bream actually more common than the Whiting. Best rig is enough sinker to get out 30-40 metres sitting above a really small bead(to stop sinker 'wedging' on swivel/knot,) then swivel and about 40-50 cm of light line around 3-4 kg for a leader(fluorocarbon will get you more bites re visibility even in dark) then a size 2 or 4 hook- 'bait-holder' type with small barbs on hook shank will work best with either worms or prawns as best bait giving you a chance at both those species. There are occasional Flathead and Tailor. Small Red Bream are a nuisance in the summer months. Alternative rig if using pilchards as bait(not for Whiting) is swivel,then pea size or next size larger/smaller running straight onto hook. For this rig use suicide(octopus) pattern 1/0-2/0 and back 1/3-1/4 of pilchard best and easiest to rig. Good tide to go there best of luck, hope to see some fishy pictures. Cheers Waza

Mate!! Thanks so much for the tips l really apricate it, I will try the different combos on all the rods for the evening.

Again thankyou and will share some nice photos if l am lucky enough to catch anything. Have a great day