Newbie with a tinny project

cadman342001

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 9:11 PM, cadman342001 said:

Thanks fellas.

Picked up a motor, 03 Merc 40 3 cylinder with elec. Start and elec. Trim/tilt. For $1500. Old guy retired outboard mechanic. Full service including carby strip and clean, new impeller etc.

Trailer getting welded on Saturday , what is recommended to paint it - cold gal? Do I need to treat any rust first? Recommends?

Don't use a rust converter if you are going to apply cold gal - ie remove the rust by abrasion. The cold gal is design to act like hot gal in that the zinc works as a sacrificial anode - so it must be in contact with the bare steel.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2018 at 7:56 AM, frankS said:

Andy. Did the parcel arrive yet ? Haven't heard from you since I sent it and getting a bit worried that it may have gone astray.

Frank

Hey Frank, yes it arrived safely, thank you so much for the goodies, most kind of you ! Although I'm not actually sure what one of them is ! - the grey rectangular thing ? (sorry for not getting back to you, I've been flat out with work and the tinny)

Anyways, I'll take some pics tomorrow, you'll be able to see the rod holders installed, and the motor is on and has decals, and the trailer is all cold Gal., electrics pretty much done, just been tidying/redoing bits here and there.

Got some seats off ebay, need to decide where they are going, plus still haven't decided on the area between middle bench seat and front bench seat, leave it open for feet/legs of passengers, deck it, put fuel containers in there to a. increase range, b. keep some weight forwards especially when I'm going solo.

Andy

Andy. The trailer is looking fabulous, hope you're gonna paint the jockey wheel and winch!!! just kidding.

The grey thing is actually for a kayak or rubber ducky, you glue it on, just take the mount off it and use it as a spare somewhere, one idea I had was to glue/contact it onto the top of the motor, place the white light in it and use it for a anchor light, you could take the light off when not in use.

Frank

20181014_092248fs.jpg