Ger

Hi guys, just looking for some general info. Want to target sharks either from shore or possibly if I hire a boat. Looking to go anywhere in the Northern beaches from Manly up to Palm beach. What would be my best bet? Just looking to get into some of the smaller species to start with, bronzies etc. Any ideas as to best spots to start from? Am I a bit early and better to wait til summer or could it still be possible now. Cheers 

I used to get plenty of bronzies and gummys while targetting jews around the north shores, Narrabeen in particular. Just before the full moon was often the best for me, I would catch them all year round. 

My advice would be stay away from wire traces as this will greatly reduce you Jew chances but when you start chassing 40kg + sharks wire might be more advised. I've caught plenty even around the 40-50kg using double hook rigs on 50-80lb mono as bycatch.

Most sharks I've caught from our cooler NSW waters haven't been untill 2 hrs after dark, any baits suitable for jews will do the job.

Palm Beach you will get a couple down the far end near the sea pool, use some heavy gear 40-60lb, i have heard from the wise to use eel as bait, so next time you catch an eel cut it up and keep in freezer till your gonna go on a beach shark hunt, as Jon said, they will go for most jewy baits.