Fish Finder Assistance

nicknancarrow

Hi Fishraiders

I have a 14ft offshore tinnie. When the boat was purchased new some 8 years ago, we purchased a cheap garmin fishfinder that has done ok until now and we are looking at upgrading. 

We normally fish offshore in waters up to a maximum of 40m deep and mainly in the 10 to 20m range.

The fishfinder is mounted to a adjustable arm that can be folded away under the gunwale when not in use. So the sounder may cop a bit of weather.

Have been looking at the Lowrance Hook2-5 SplitShot Combo.

Any suggestions on this unit or what works well for you if you have a similar scenario to us.

Cheers

I've been more than happy with Lowrance products over the years, though I don't have experience with the smaller hook series. 

My advice is buy as big a unit as you can afford especially if you fish regularly. Also keep the old unit incase you sell the boat, that way you could pop the old unit back in the boat to sell it and keep the newer.

large screens have more resolution which is better for showing fish and structure. Using split screens for plotter and sounder can be tricky on small screen units, also adding things such as sidescan can be extremely beneficial at those depths you mention but not so good with screens bellow 9inch in my opinion.