Rod Building

Guest bluecod

Guest bluecod

If any of you folk are interested in rod building there are meetings of the Sydney Rod Builders Club held the third Wednesday of the month at the Lillian Fraser Building, Bellamy Street, Pennant Hills commencing at 7.30 pm. :gathering:

Cost is $5 to cover tea/coffee and hire of hall.

More info at http://members.optusnet.com.au/~cdboyle/SRBC

Topics are sometimes set prior to the meeting but plenty of scope to ask any questions about rod building in a very informal atmosphere. :welcome:

I think "Target" will be convening the next meeting

Thanks to Ken A for permitting this post,

Guest Target

Thanks George for getting this post up, and thanks Ken for letting us do the advertising blurb here also.

Yes, due to attrition, I will be the advertising face for the Sydney Rod Builders Club, as Dave Boyle has left Sydney to other greener pastures.

As Bluecod has said, and given the link to the web page, every third Wednesday of the month a few of us regulars get together and chat about rod building - run through different aspects of rod building and generally pick up tips and tricks from everyone else. We have had guest speakers such as Steve Ross turn up and show us through his operations, and have covered subjects from handle construction and turning cork, to but wraps, butt weaves, guide placement, guide wrapping, rod lathes, testing different epoxies and every little bit along the way. I was a very green novice when we started the club, and I still am :D but seriously I have picked up so many tips along the way my rodbuilding had got better by a factor of ten. My rods are no longer cheaper ways of getting a good rod, but the only way for me to get the exact rod that I want for a task.

OK enough of the blurb - the next meeting is going to be covering the basics of rod building, and showing tips and tricks. A few of us have just got some new blanks in (9wt fly for me) and will bring them along so you can check out what is available out there. There will also be some other rod building supplies there (hopefully) that you can check out and compare the competition and avaiable choices on guides, etc.

Next meeting will be 7pm Wednesday 18 August at the Lilian Fraser Buidling in Pennant Hills - shoot me a PM or follow up this post if you are interesting in coming along or want some more info.

Hope to see a few of you guys there

Adrian

:) Actually the pastures will be red (as in desert sand), not green!!

I hope to stay in touch with the club and will continue to support it through the website etc.

The club is a great way to meet others who share an interest in fishing gear, especially rods, and is held in a friendly environment. Even if you''re not sure if you want to build a rod I recommend you drop in and check it out.

Dave Boyle