Quick Beach session

Volitan

I did a 2 hour session on Killcare Beach last night, starting at 5:00pm. Killcare is not a particularly productive beach but its my local so I go there a bit.

Last night was good. 5 bream, 2 trevally and 1 salmon - all good size. The best beach fishing I've had for months so it looks like the winter duldrums have let up at last. The species list still reads like winter fishing, though. In summer this beach is plagued by small dart and crabs, and I'd expect whiting and flathead instead of trevally and salmon. 

This was the first salmon I've caught here since about April. There were a few around - I lost one or two and a guy fishing nearby landed two. 

One of the trevally was a big one and it was deep-hooked so I bought it home. Any opinions on what this species is like for eating, or should it go to the cats. What other fish is it like. Is it oily.  ?

cheers

V.

• Like 1

Went back for the same times, 2 days later, and managed only 1 small bream. How it goes.

No obvious difference in conditions, though I don’t check water temperature.

pilchards seem to be almost ignored of late. Prawns and worms lead to some success.

• Like 1

I did another beach session on Macmasters Beach tonight from 6:30 to 8:00 pm. Result was one kahawai (Australian salmon) and two good bream. That’s not bad considering it was low water and there is very little structure on the beach.

The interesting thing was when I got the kahawai in about half of the top lobe of its tail fin had been bitten off. It was nearly dark and I couldn’t see it clearly (no torch) but it appeared to be fresh done - still red. Made me wonder if something toothy had grabbed it while I was bringing it in.

11 hours ago, Volitan said:

I

The interesting thing was when I got the kahawai in about half of the top lobe of its tail fin had been bitten off. It was nearly dark and I couldn’t see it clearly (no torch) but it appeared to be fresh done - still red. Made me wonder if something toothy had grabbed it while I was bringing it in.

That is why you don't swim at night, the sharks swim into very shallow water.

Another session on a southern Central Coast beach last night. 6 to 8 pm. Three bream and two kahawai (salmon). 

The last two bream came in as a double header. One on a surf popper and the other on a pilchard. First fish I’ve had take a surf popper in months. I usually put out a rod with one of those Kmart surf popper rigs and spike it. These have a swivel for attachment, a surf popper on top and a 3 gang hook below, and finally a clip to which I usually attach a big star sinker. They’re a good rig because they don’t tangle much and the star sinker stops movement in the surf which is essential for an unattended rod. I clip two of the gang hooks off because I don’t like the damage they do to fish I’m probably going to release anyway, and bait the remaining hook with a half pillie, liberally tied on with bait elastic.

In autumn nearly all the kahawai I caught were on the surf popper - but now they’re all on the pillie. I guess that tells us something about how they’re feeding but I can’t think what.

• Like 1