Cheaper alternative to sugapens?

anthman

Hi all, if you've seen my previous post, i have an interest in catching whiting on surface lures. Concensus is that the bassday sugapen/sugarpen/Suga pen/sugar pen is the go-to lure. Looking on the net the price ranges from $23-$29 a piece (70mm and 95mm)

Does anyone have any experience with a cheaper alternative that still works?

Right now I have a few of what look very close, on order from China, so will be a while before it arrives...

1 minute ago, frankS said:

Look similar to 100 other lures on the market to me, personally I wouldn't pay anywhere near that money for lures these days. Must be other choices that work for far less money.

Frank

Agreed! Key attributes I can discern:

* Floating

* Prawn colour scheme (orange with some pink and stripes, translucent)

* 70-95mm in length, slim stick profile

* Slight cup face front

* Good action on walk the dog retrieve

* Good cast distance (at <9grams)

hi anthman 

i love the sugapen70 for whiting but i have gotten a few on the gladiator kozami 50/60mm lure. i haven't used these much but i have a friend who religiously uses these and cleans up. it is a walk the dog style lure without the cuped face. i have my best luck on the clear lures with strips on top (prawn imitation). can pick these up for about $12-$13. hope this helps champ.

cheers

caple 

8 hours ago, connico said:

My understanding is that Bassday uses owner hooks

I would be putting on a pair of tiny assist hooks in the back anchor point, so the many videos on YouTube tell me!