Muddies in the Hawkesbury

bessell1955

I have been getting my boat ready to have a go at catching Muddies in the Hawkesbury.  I spoke to a mate this afternoon, who had a crack on the weekend.  He went to Laughtondale near the windsock for zilch.  He used chicken legs for bait.  He had a fish with only a few bites.   Has anyone had better luck or is it to early in the season?

1 hour ago, bessell1955 said:

Come on are there no  Fishradiers out there to help?

I’ve managed a few blue swimmers here in Port Stephens recently. Muddies are being caught further up in the system. In relation to the Upper Hawkesbury, when I had an on-site van near Wiseman’s Ferry, the consensus was that when we spotted jellyfish that far up, we’d put the traps in. Some guys used chicken carcasses or left over lamb roasts but I still reckon the good ol’ mullet is still best. Down at Laughtondale, the current really races along over the shallow undulating sandy bottom near the wind sock and you could struggle to keep the traps on the bottom. Also, there are not many mangroves there near the sock. You might do better near some mangroves and out of the main current a bit. 😉

• 2 weeks later...

I've just come back from the Hawkesbury around bar point. I had no luck with muddies but was quite successful with blue swimmers. I was there for 4days but unfortunately only got the chance to put 2 pots out for 1 day before they were stolen...The locals had not caught any muddies either and said it was still a bit early.