Best mono for trout fishing

horsleyboy

Hi Fishos, taking a trip to the snowies this weekend for some trout fishing. I normally fish saltwater with a fairly whippie rod and light gear (4-6lb braid main with approx. 3-4m of 6-8lb Fluorocarbon leader). I've got a few spare reels that i'd like to rig up with mono to fish the surface for trout and use the braided rig for divers. Reels range between 1000 and 2500.

Can anyone suggest a good quality mono line?

Also, would it be best to stick with a flurocarbon leader or would throwing the lure straight on to the main line be ok? I was thinking of some kind of small speed clip that i could easily rotate lures when required.

I was thinking of playing with a few creative combinations, like a double hook with a fly and lure or even straight fly.

Thanks!

Never heard of hybrid, i'll check it out. Is the Trilene sensation hybrid? I use Sunline braid and leader and love it, it's the best ive used and will stick with it, so i'd be inclined to try Sunline hybrid or mono. What hybrid line do you use exactly?

Never seen those clips either haha. It's just amazing how many variations of products there are these days. I watched a quick video of them and they look the goods. I'll definitely give them a try. I use to use the Normal speed clips, but they became a bitch to open and particularly get in to smaller lures. Also started bending over time.

Thanks connico

I use WTF Gliss Hybrid line for spinning light lures right now. I'm finding its very thin, cast a mile and has really good knot strengths. Haven't suffered from wind knots but i'm very careful regardless

The line is very fine though and if you have big fat fingers its sometimes hard to tie knots unless you adapt. I only use the Palomar knot since its very easy to tie with very thin line and its hardy and very very strong.

Trilene sensation i think its monofilament is what i hear...

Thanks guys. Just went to the local tackle shop. I was keen to try the Platypus Platinum after the recommendation. Especially considering it's Australian made, but the smallest size they had was 10lb.

I saw the Trilene XL and the Trilene Sensation. I've read up some very very good reviews on the XL so i was confused when i saw both of these. Store guy didnt know the difference, apart from the fact that the XL was 2.22mm and the Sensation was 2.20 or something to that effect.

In the end i saw the Sunline Siglon and thought i'd give that a try. As i mentioned before i use Sunline all the time and love it. In comparison, the 6lb was significantly thinner as well at 1.65mm and they also had the 4lb. Was tempting, but i thought the 6lb at such a thin diametre would be fine.

I might chuck this on the spare reel and have a play between straight main to lure or using speed clips.

Will let you guys know how i guy and hopefully be able to post some pics of fresh trout!

Thanks again so much for your help guys.

Nick