Suggestions on travel rod for NZ

anthman

Hi all, I'll be travelling to NZ next year and plan to do some light shore fishing whilst I'm there. Wanting to bring my own gear I'm looking at some options.

I'm planning to use lures whilst there, off beaches (not keen on rock hopping) probably hitting salmon/kahawai on light metals, maybe snapper on 5" jerkbaits and wouldn't it be nice to tango with a NZ kingfish land based. Admittedly that's a big range, might bring two rods but preference is for one.

Would appreciate some suggestions for which rod and reel, as well as lures you would bring for the above targets and style of fishing.

I have access to a 3piece slingshot engage 7'  6-10kg .

I am thinking of getting the Shimano raider 9' 4 piece 4-7kg.

Reel would be 3000-size, 12lb braid I think.

Not quite an answer to your questions, however a few things to consider:

- have a look also at NZ shops, Usually their choice is wider and prices are lower than in AU even for well known brands as Shimano. No local AU warranty though.

- think how you are going to transport the rods in the plane . If you dont want to pay possible  sport/fishing gear surcharge - calculate what max length of the rod piece will fit in your luggage.  e.g. mentioned travel Raider 9' piece will have aprox 75cm piece

- check the customs/quarantine regulations for fishing gear for AU and NZ. The regulations are usually stricter in regards to used/freshwater/natural component(e.g.cork handle) fishing gear.

- some of the travel rods allow different rod actions due to additional rod sections (e.g. Trion Transcendent range, however the length is limited to 7'2 max) i.e  no need for several rods during the trip.

-if you spend over AU$300 in one transaction (rod, reel, braid ,etc etc) close to your trip dates - you may claim GST on the AU border.