Patonga Bay

MacLon

Hi all

Not a successful trip but i thought i would share some dangerous moments with other raiders when trying to hit the water for a late afternoon fish during summer. 

The goal was to troll Lion Island and the joey late aftetnoon but the weather gods were not happy. 

I launched solo from  Patonga ramp and rounded the point into the Hawkesbury river and very soon i was crossing large pressure waves as the tide ran out and the Nor Easter blew. A few bigger waves broke up the little 4.5m runabouts windscreen so i knew it was time to turn around. Not an easy task when the waves were peaking and crashing but i got behind a big one and followed it back to safety. 

I decided to kill a couple of hours drifting Patonga bay for a small shark with wiskers (no idea what type of shark) and a large Occy that i had to let go after he eye balled me. 

I normally fish day break and will head up river next time i fish another Summer aftetnoon coinciding with a low tide!!!!!!!!

Happy fishing 

Matt 

20181228_180927.jpg

Good call and put it down to experience. I pulled the pin on a trip out today given the forecast.  

Next time !! 

30 minutes ago, MacLon said:

a large Occy that i had to let go after he eye balled me.

Hahaha -- please explain?  

Cheers Zoran

Hey Maclon,

I have been in similar situations before and nearly lost my life once when I got flung out of my tinny.

I now drive a 6m plate alloy boat to fish Botany Bay.

Instances like that make us freak out the older we get, hence my over-engineering of the boat.

I have to admit that I still push the envelope when I stay out in the bay while 20kn+ winds are blowing.

That shark looks like a dogfish to me. Perhaps the tailor could have gone out live instead of a fillet but hey - it's your choice.

Forrest Gump could have been a fisherman. He could have said "Fishing's like a box of chocolates - you never know whatcha gonna get." You can tell from that statement that I fish alone...lol...

Have a good new year.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Keflapod said:

Perhaps the tailor could have gone out live instead of a fillet

Hey guys just be aware ... Tailor legal size is 30cm in NSW ... below that size  you cannot use them for bait - dead or alive. 

I know, I know ... in the past I used to catch a lot of hairtail on a live tailor bait ... but them's the rules today.

Cheers Zoran