Darts from Wanda beach and a bycatch

wchh

To not to clash with the Christmas beach goer crowds, I have been doing late afternoon/evening fishing at the Wanda beach in the last couple of days and only managed to take home twoish fish each trip. 

Considering 50% chance of thunderstorms forecasted for this afternoon, I went to check out whether there is a chance for a late morning session. I got there about 8:30 and found a rip that was postered as"dangerous current" hence clear from any swimmers. 

I set up and started fishing with my trusted Pilchard cube bait. I the next two hours, my 8 pilchards were converted into 10 fish, of which 8 were darts and I took home.

One of the fish I think it was a juvenile king. It was successfully released unharmed after the photo.

The fun part was after I got back to my car, the engine won't start. The battery went flat probably I managed to leave the headlights on. A quick call to my roadside service sorted it out quickly . Help arrived within 30 minutes from the call was made, brilliant service.

photos of today's catch.

Charles 

IMG_1095.JPG

17 hours ago, Ryder said:

Sounds like a fun session with a little king in the mix. Well done.

Catching king fish off the beach is rare experience to me. I do quite a bit beach fishing but only this year I caught all up three small kingfish off the Wanda beach. From other reports of rat king in the bay, it appears there is  a lot around at the moment and even spilled to the beaches? They go like small salmon apart from they do not jump out of water.

12 hours ago, beachwormer said:

Very healthy sized dart there - would have been fun landing them. Well done

They don't  look that big in the photo, a few of them did go past 30cm. They were fun as I used a light setup for them. I also found them quite good on the table. 

Charles

7 hours ago, big Neil said:

Well, you certainly finished the year on a high. Good job. bn

Sure I did, BN!

I have to say fishing has been somehow very slow this year for me. This  time last year, there were quite a few trips I would bag out on tailors or darts and catch a few good breams and flatties. I have been taking only 2~3 fish per trip this Xmas.

I read your well written sum-up for 2018. Hope 2019 will be a even better year for all moderators and raiders on this site! 

Charles

• Like 1