Stockton Beach

fishn4fun

Well what a weekend, up bright and early saturday morning, was up at Stockton by 9:00am we decided to set camp and start fishing, my main aim was to pot around during the day and get serious by night fall high tide was midnight so perfect excuse to start exploring the wonders of jewfish fishing.

Well the day was pretty average for me no bites but some of the other guys got a couple of salmon, once sunset started i set my self up down at the beach and plonked my first bait in no sooner had five minutes gone i had a bite come on strong and i struck, you ripper pulled up a salmon that weighed in 2.4kg my pb for a salmon, got another bait wated for half hour nothing so brought it in my squid was a little bit worse for wear so changed it for a fresh one by this stage it was getting to be around 10:15 waited about 10 mins then saw a little nibble, fed some line out got a little bit stronger fed some more the bite got stronger then i struck, awesome the fish was pulling hard then went slack i though i lost it so i started reeling in the slack when i still felt the fish on end i was still hopefull after 5 minutes of some spirited fighting i beached the fish and got my first look at my first ever jewfish :yahoo: .

After that i tried for another but to no avail oh well one is better than none, it weghed in at 3.5kg uncleaned and 74cm in length, i was so stoked im hooked now on mulloway fishing of the beach, it was so scenic i had the moon rising to my left lighting storms in front, fireworks at newcastle and shooting stars overhead any way thats all for me ill hopefully post some pics in the coming weeks :thumbup:

Edited by fishn4fun

Hi fish4fun

Great work - congratulations. Nothing better than setting out to target a jewie from the beach and then nailing one. No 'blind luck' involved for you eh?

Can I ask how fresh the squid was? Did you catch it yourself or was it store bought?

I ask because I too am keen to bag a couple of jewies off the beach this season and am interested as to whether I can get away with store bought bait every now and then.

Mondo

Congrats on the beach jew fishn. :thumbup: And the pb sambo as well.

I was at Stockton early Sunday morning, were you guys still there then? It was pretty slow going for the three of us, only one flathead right on legal length and a good sized tailor. The seaweed was a real pain!

A couple of sambo's were landed by the crews either side of us, but we couldn't manage to tempt one unfortunately. I think they might be starting to thin out a bit.

Might see you up there one day mate. :biggrin2:

Shane

:1fishing1:

Yeah unfortunatly the north easterly started on Saturday night then when i started fishing around 9:00pm it stopped till about half an hour after i caught my jewie which was around 11:30 then the bloody south easterly started and it was near on impossible fishing so i called it quits, the rest of the team did a bit on Sunday morning, same thing though that southerly was just blowing seaweed and was pretty hard to fish, theres not much you can do though just bear it and grin it.