Mighty Mud Marlin - Woodcroft

Squ!rt

Hey all, haven’t had a chance to have a flick up at home this week at Lake Mac so me and a mate decided to go to our local Lake and chase these mighty mud marlin that I have been seeing plenty of reports on social media.

We met up after work at mine got our gear and decided to head down the road.

Started out a bit slow with a couple of nibbles and nothing much on the bite, bugger we thought been hearing heaps of reports on this lake so we decided to move locations just to the right of the jetty. It looked like a little bit of a gully in between the reeds. Started berlying them up with one solid piece of bread and several small balls of bread 🍞. We were trying to get the Carp to rise to the surface, and by jingos by crikeys damn it worked well.

My first carp had a massive fight and then bam it was off, spewin. Re-berlyed up the water and tried to keep the damn ducks away which works if you throw a rock or two and make a splash just before them, the seem to scatter which is good.

My first landed was pretty decent nothing massive but around the 40cm mark, this was in the afternoon around 6pm just on dusk but still plenty of light due to daylight savings, good catch and a decent fight, i was ecstatic with landing this, my first fish on my new setup I got for Xmas. (Sahara X with 2500 sienna) Couple of hours went by we got a couple of nibbles but nothing solid. It got close to 8:30 the sun had just gone down, still light but was time for mozzie repellent and head torches.

Bit more of berly and my it was my Brothers turn his reel zoomed off with the drag I thought sweet he is on. Reels it in after giving a semi decent and very weird fight, the fight was interesting very fast then slow then fast,he pulled in a Koi Carp, good looking fish and was good fun for him. Now I was on the prowl to outdo him as us brothers/mates do, and it happened, bit more Berly out literally 15mins after he caught his Koi I struck a beauty, 52cm carp, good solid fight and great fun, it was now solidly dark and we were both thinking of packing up and going to get a feed for dinner (handy with a maccas round the corner) then boom he was on again, this time a carp around the 35-40cm mark so a decent little guy. Ok so now it’s 2-2 we were happy with our avo/night fish and it was great fun, finally started packing up the chairs and our tackle bags and were ready for dinner, both our stomachs were grumbling, had everything packed but our rods still in the water with drag on as you do....just as we packed up our stuff my line went off again, not a big zoom of the reel but I wasn’t going to not bring it in, ended up being small at the 30cm mark. 

Well that’s all folks, here’s the piccys of our Mighty Mud Marlin...

Will definitely be going back here for some arvo Carp fights, the reports aren’t wrong this place has the been going off, some 🍞 and small and light 🎣 plenty of fun

3A3DE5C2-A3BE-4252-8082-FA2273440D53.jpeg

2266B643-2CA7-4110-875E-D58C10EE2A72.jpeg

7079E43A-FD17-481C-BCB5-81C67EDF9C7D.jpeg

C8D87F08-573E-49FB-8A97-7AA19AA67266.jpeg

2F4311AD-2F58-4F0C-BB82-31E08EF35A7A.jpeg

Edited by Squ!rt
  • Like 3