Abseiling And Fishing

veck

Greetings Fishoes

Abseiled down a 30 meter ledge on Sunday to this rock platform in the royal national park near Bundeena. The decent was a rush especially at 5.30am, in the background the early morning rays filtered down, it was majestic. The three of us brought an array of bait to cater for the pickiest of pallets. Unfortunately this unexplored rock platform was surrounded by corral on all sides. We managed to catch a huge array of coloured specimens from parrot to rock cod, shark, sergeant bakers, and other unknown types. With the coral came the endless snags and a huge drain on our tackle, wish we had brought some floats. All in all it was a great day, the climb back up the cliff was an experience, physically exhausted, both my arms and legs were throbbing in pain, but damn did I feel alive when a reached the top of the cliff. I saw a fishing video about 5 years ago about some abseiling fishermen who explored virgin territory. It was called extreme fishing and based around cliffs in Sydney. If you can find the video its a gem and has strongly influenced what my mates and I have been doing for the last few years.

p.s. we tried cooking some of these coloured species when we got home and they tasted crap.

I would be interested in knowing if any other fishoes have been incorporating abseiling into their fishing adventures and what success they have had. :D

gday veck, Not sure if its the same spot i fish but fishing on the seaside at bundeena usually brings good rewards, for me and mates, guys i know went down there few weeks ago and caught some kingy's, salmon usually down there too. you are right though floats a must.............For those of us without ropes the retrieve back up the cliffface is usually won by the fish :1badmood:

cheers

gday veck, Not sure if its the same spot i fish but fishing on the seaside at bundeena usually brings good rewards, for me and mates, guys i know went down there few weeks ago and caught some kingy's, salmon usually down there too. you are right though floats a must.............For those of us without ropes the retrieve back up the cliffface is usually won by the fish :1badmood:

cheers

THERE IS ANOTHIER SPOT WITH A SANDY FLOOR ABOUT 50MIN SOUTH FROM THE BUNDEENA ROCK PLATFORM. PRODUCES MOST SILVER SPECIES OF FISH. ITS JUST THE DISTANCE THAT CAN BE A CHALLENGE AT THE END OF THE DAY.

SEE YOU HANGING FROM A ROCK.

Hi Veck,I might suggest that if you have the right gear to go and visit a place called the "Mattens".

It is a ledge that is to the North of Rosa gully,there is a sheer cliff climb involved but the thing is that it offers the deepest water available on the eastern suburbs.When the currents are right the place fires,lots of rock hopping options available but the best thing is that the only guys down there are serious fishos that are familiar with rockfishing etiqutte.

It has been a while but if you do a recce around christison park at macquarie light house you can see it.

si

Hi Veck,I might suggest that if you have the right gear to go and visit a place called the "Mattens".

It is a ledge that is to the North of Rosa gully,there is a sheer cliff climb involved but the thing is that it offers the deepest water available on the eastern suburbs.When the currents are right the place fires,lots of rock hopping options available but the best thing is that the only guys down there are serious fishos that are familiar with rockfishing etiqutte.

It has been a while but if you do a recce around christison park at macquarie light house you can see it.

si

thanks for the advice, i have all the gear so if your heading that way give me a yell and we can team up.

Cheers

Veck