Sussex Inlet & St Georges Basin - Family weekend

Colin Fishabit

Hi

I'm booked into a caravan park on Sussex inlet over the Australia Day weekend with the family.

Will have my boat down there and am hoping to be out and about with the family for a fair part of the time.

I'm looking for tips on fishing spots and techniques.    Also if there are any nice swimming or picnic spots that people want to share i'd appreciate some advice.

Ive got some light gear for some bait fishing and a bit of a range of sot plastics to play with.  Was thinking just inside the basin entrance - looking for some weed maybe?

Does anyone get squid in and around the inlet?

Cheers

Colin,

All the usual techniques work in The Basin. If flathead are on the menu I would be concentrating on the weed bed edges from the inlet entrance around to Wrights Beach. There's virtually no current in there, so to cover ground fish plastics if there's no wind and save the bait 'till the wind comes up and gives you a bit of a drift. Cruising the edges and sounding out bait schools will increase your chances of a good fish. You'll find bream and the odd legal red hanging around the bait too.

Can't say I've ever caught a squid in the inlet, but then I've never really tried either. I have caught a couple in The Basin but its a pretty rare catch. You'd be far better off sneaking out of the inlet mouth and throwing a jig around the rocky island a couple of hundred metres out.

Hi Green Hornet

Appreciate the advice.  I'll give it a go around to Wrights beach.  There is a lot of shore line to explore! 

For the squid, is the bar crossing reasonable?  I'll have to go look and watch a few locals I think.

Are the artificial reefs between Macleans point and Sanctuary Point productive and worth a look? 

Again, thanks.

Colin,

My mum used to live at Sanctuary point in Greville avenue which was right on top of the reserve when I was in my early teens, used just have to walk down a path & you were on the water, really enjoy going down there on schools hols to visit prawning & fishing.

Cant remenber to much of the basin really except its very shallow in a lot of areas.

Watched a few fishing shows like ifish etc & they caught some stonker bream in areas & decent flathead.

Hope you have good luck 👍

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Colin Fishabit said:

Hi Green Hornet

Appreciate the advice.  I'll give it a go around to Wrights beach.  There is a lot of shore line to explore! 

For the squid, is the bar crossing reasonable?  I'll have to go look and watch a few locals I think.

Are the artificial reefs between Macleans point and Sanctuary Point productive and worth a look? 

Again, thanks.

Colin,

I wouldn't go much closer to Wrights Beach than about 1/2 km south of it but there's heaps of shoreline from there around to the inlet mouth. Google earth it and have a look.

The bar crossing is changing all the time but boats cross it frequently, best in low swells of course. If you get onto WillyWeather and look up Bherwerre Beach, in the swell section you can see live footage of the bar.

Personally, I don't spend much time around the reefs, but they fish pretty good at times.

• Like 1

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the feedback.  👍

I looked around in a few different spots in the basin, even checked out one of the artificial reefs.   Fished in a few spots in the inlet too.   Tried a few plastics, a vibe, a popper over the long weed.  Had fresh and frozen prawns  plus pilchards for bait.  Got nothing except a few prawns each night that I ended up using for bait!

Regardless, was a good weekend with the family.  Amazing area to explore.  Was very busy.  I'll come back again on a normal weekend see how I go.

I didn't go through the bar crossing.  I went for a look about above half, but below full tide and there was jetskis running in and out like crazy - the deep water after the first part next to the bank wasn't 100% clear to me to left it for another day.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

100% everyone had fun.

I came away with a better understanding of the basin and the variable weather especially the wind.   It gets a real chop out there. 

I'll need to get more time working out he bar crossing.  For more experienced people or locals it might be simple but wasn't clear to me.

I was surprised with getting nothing to be honest.  I even fished at night in the channel where I positioned myself on the edge o a small drop-off on run out tide.  I could see some whiting, some little bait fish, prawns, small rays but nothing would take a bait or lure.   There were a few larger bodied dark fish too - not sure what they were though. 

Hi Colin. Weather a bit ordinary this weekend. The Basin can become treacherous in a strong n.e. blow. This is bad on the south end but calmer in the top end. Around 90% of Marine Rescue work is in St Georges Basin due to wind and other factors. We have had n.e. for most days for the last few weeks. Occasional southerly, but makes fishing challenging.  Jim

I have been coming here for over 50 years and now live here. We went through a period where the Basin was netted commercially, and catching a good sized fish was difficult. Since netting stopped the fish stock have been building up and now good fish are around. My old style fishing was to drift, using nippers. But as nippers are in short supply, I have had to change fishing style, using other baits. I have tries soft plastics with little success whilst others get good results. I cannot remember the last time I came in with a good mixed bag. OH WELL!  Maybe I should fish more

• Haha 1