600 Pro Licences To Go

bombora

Hiya all, just to keep fellow Fishraiders up to the second with fishing news; The federal government ann0unced just minutes ago that it will buy back 600 commercial fishing licences as part of a $220m package to reduce pressure on fish stocks. Ye Ha!! Devil is in the detail of course but this one is interesting! Cheers Bombie

Hiya guys, scant details yet, will keep everyone up to date. I imagine it will be areas that come under federal control so maybe better news for, say fellowfin fishers than Hawkesbury fishers. Hope I'm wrong there. Cheers Bombie

thats fantastic news, lets just hope that they close the loophole that allows them to buy back in on under utilized licence's.

any idea on which area's they are talking about?

Good point and we do not want the Government to trade this fishing resource to another country for trade benefits in some other area of global economics.

If 600 commercial fishing licences go and its as simple as a buy back, then thats great news.

Cheers

That is good news.

Not trying to sound cynical but I hope its not part of a bigger plan.

Dont forget the marine park debarkle, where proposals are in place to have them all up the coast. Areas from Port Stevens to Forster and further again, are on the agenda.

Lets hope and prey this is for the benefit of rec fishing.

Thanks Bombie

It won't impact the Hawkesbury or Pittwater as it relates to Commonwealth Waters only, which are defined as:

"Commonwealth fisheries are generally those occurring between three and 200 nautical miles off the Australian coastline."

But it is still damn good news.

Lets hope that NSW gets on board.

cant say i'm all that impressed.

At a commonwealth level i think i would prefere the money being spent on beefing up our northern response to the illegal indo fishers.

Personally i think that would do far more to protect our future fisheries than the limited targets refered to in that release by the minister.

but it's better than nothing i supose.

its good, getting rid of them anywhere is good, better if its the hawks...

i agree with you outnumbered i think they need to do more about the indo fishers coming here

but it definatly is better than nothing....

Edited by Matty

Bit more detail though there's lots to go through, and some of it appears to be directly good news for rec fishers.

As far as I can tell, among the things which will impact on us rec fishos is a limit to long line hooks on the east coast (great news for YFT, shark and marlin fishos etc) and a limit on broadbill swordfish take, and get this, a total ban on deep water silver trevally fishing!!!

Baring any damn sneaky pollie stuff some of this is great stuff. Cheers Bombie

Definitely sounds like a step in the right direction. Good on them for stumping up some cash to reduce the overfishing. If it works out it will be one of the most sensible things the Polly's have done for a while.

In the article where they said "We have listened to industry, scientists and sensible environmentalists" were the f&%# did they find the sensible environmentalists? Maybe they really meant to say recreational fishermen and through a Freudian slip it just came out that way. :1prop:

Now at least we can concentrate the Fishing Licence money on buying out the estuary fishermen and we will definitely be on a winner.

Over all I say: :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo: Nice one Bruvva!

In todays Daily Telegraph there is half a page on this buyout (pg13). It pretty much says that the only licences that will be bought back will be those commercial fishermen who fish offshore for deep sea fish. So pretty much the rec fisho gets screwed again as most of us only fish inshore and the esturies. There is also a comment from one of the writers about Ian Macdonald. Interesting reading.

Edited by blackant

It will be interesting to see how this affects the estuary fishing in areas where the offshore pro's dissapear.

In time the Billfish, Tuna and other offshore predatory fish stocks will increase, and I wonder if this will affect migrating estuary species that leave the estuary and follow the currents offshore.

Will the already dwindling number of estuary species moving seasonally offshore be hit hard by an increasing number of offshore predatory fish ?

The reason i ask this is the studies done on Lake Mac to find out what effect the RHF has had indicate while there is a huge increase in some, there is also a decline in other species due to predation. Of course the natural balance will return to Lake Mac with good numbers of breeders in the system not being wiped out, but what about other more hard hit estuary areas.

As great a news as it is to have the buyout I just hope it does not put even more pressure on our estuaries when the huge schools of baitfish they naturally feed on are being wiped out in the estuary. What they gunna eat ? Bream ?

Its just a theory but worth a thought.

Edited by Grantm