G. Loomis Rainbrook Fly Rod

Richie

G'day Ritchie,

Good to hear another Raider is taking up fly fishing. It's good fun. :biggrin2:

Not sure if you've had a look at previous posts on the site, but I have asked about beginner setups previously, follow this link for some info.

I looked at the Rainbrook combo, but ended up going with the Innovator Distance 6/7 weight combo which was $100 cheaper than the Rainbrook. I can't offer you any advice on the Rainbrook, as I've never used it, but I'm quite pleased with the Innovator combo if you're open to other brands.

I'm sure the other swoffers on the site will also give you some advice. I think pogo uses G.Loomis fly rods so he's definately more qualified to give you advice on them.

Shane

:1fishing1:

Edited by madsmc

I'm not up to date on the latest Loomis offerings, although I'ld love to have the Metolious 13'4 troutspey

Ive got a few older ones, a GLX, an IMX, and a GL3, they are all great rods but I bought them after test casting them and they suited me, for instance, I didnt like the 9' GLX but fell in love with the 9'6, both in 7 wt

Buying expensive flyrods has become a thing of the past with a new small family.

Best advice is have a cast of the rod and try a few others and see which you like.

Regards Pogo

Hi Madsmc, I'm not particularly set on any brand, if the Innovator doesn't really offer a rank beginner any less than the Loomis and is cheaper...

Warpig, it's about $380 including reel and line. I already have a reel though.

Pogo, be thankful you got into fishing before you started your fam, I did it the other way...

Also, flyline... I've noticed that some flylines cost almost as much as an Innovator! Where is the middle ground here? What's good value?

Thanks again.

Richie.

Buying expensive flyrods has become a thing of the past with a new small family.

I definately understand that point. I had the family before I started getting into fly fishing, so getting an expensive setup straight off was never an option. Maybe a few years down the track when I'm retired. :074:

I can't remember which rod of pogo's I had a cast with at the fly social, but it was a dream compared to mine, which I didn't think was all that bad beforehand. You get what you pay for I guess.

If you can remember pogo, can you tell me which Loomis it was you had out for the casting practise that day?

Not sure what the tackle shops are like around your way Ritchie, but try to visit one that has a decent selection of fly gear and test out some rods.

Shane

:1fishing1:

Yep yep yep,

I'm a risk it all kind of guy, :1prop:

you were playing with the pride and joy, a 7wt 9'6 Loomis GLX,

I hope :wife: never ever finds out how much it cost me, none of her business really I got it when I was a single fella and justified it by telling myself I would spend less time at the pub.

I actually did for a while until the laminated loanshark was paid off.

There seems to be a lot of cheap fly gear around at the moment, particularly in trout weights

I think a bit of the "River Somewhere" yuppy flyfishing market is drying up and a few of the tackle importers

have been caught with too much stuff on their hands.

Edited by pogo