Lacking reports

JonD

Sorry for the lack of reports everyone, have to admit I haven't been getting out there very much lately.

Theres a few reasons why, firstly I've been busy working on my coxswain course. This isn't something I really planned to do but the fact my daughter was doing hers, I figured why not share the driving back and forth to tafe.

The fishing has still been pretty hit and miss down here, yes the kings are going off their heads some days but most of the time just one or two boats get them a couple of days per week. The snapper grounds frustration is still loaded with leather jackets, which proves very costly every trip. I'm looking into using full single strand wire on future snapper trips, will just have to see how that goes.

My fishing, diving and general kick around buddy now has her P plates and far more enthusiasm for all fishing tham me, to the point she has sponsors and even represents Aus in the underwater hunting. Just because I'm not getting out doesn't mean my daughter is missing out at all, in fact she's working on the best local charter boats down here, then heading out bream fishing everyday on her own. This weekend she's fishing Eden and Mallacoota, to the point all her awake hours seem to be fixed on hunting down fish in one way or another. 

I must admit it's not a bad thing at all not having the pressure of chassing fish so much, got a few trips planned with a like minded mate coming up which I'm looking forward to.

• Like 7

Yeah, great to have a daughter as keen at doing 'stuff' you enjoy, as much as you.  I got my coxwains ticket many years ago and found it to be a bit restrictive compared to the Masters.  Anyway, if she or you, are working on commercial vessels or charters, then it is a start.  Did my test for Sydney Harbour and the night time lights test was a real challenge for me.  Good luck and keep those reports coming.

13 hours ago, Killer said:

Yeah, great to have a daughter as keen at doing 'stuff' you enjoy, as much as you.  I got my coxwains ticket many years ago and found it to be a bit restrictive compared to the Masters.  Anyway, if she or you, are working on commercial vessels or charters, then it is a start.  Did my test for Sydney Harbour and the night time lights test was a real challenge for me.  Good luck and keep those reports coming.

The restrictions aren't so much depending on which level of coxswain you do ( three levels) with the first allowing you to drive 15m boats now. Also you can no longer jump straight in to do your masters without doing the coxswain 1 firstly.

2 hours ago, JonD said:

The restrictions aren't so much depending on which level of coxswain you do ( three levels) with the first allowing you to drive 15m boats now. Also you can no longer jump straight in to do your masters without doing the coxswain 1 firstly.

Out of interest, does that mean you can't drive a boat over 15m with a general boat license? Even  private one? So the guys that own the larger game boats would in theory have coxswains tickets?

29 minutes ago, Captain Spanner said:

Out of interest, does that mean you can't drive a boat over 15m with a general boat license? Even  private one? So the guys that own the larger game boats would in theory have coxswains tickets?

Not sure but I was always under the belief it's only when you have paying customers or running a comercial vessel. All the old grandfather licensing agreements are being abolished to bring all licensing under the same amsa rules. I'm not sure what sized vessel can be driven under a general boat licence privately but anything over 15m ( 48ft ) is getting pretty big in my opinion and not something many of us would be keen on doing without some kind of extra training. The size jump from 12-15m brings a coxswain class into the tug boat industry size, this is something my daughter has shown great interest in.

On 4/1/2019 at 3:22 PM, Berleyguts said:

I thought of doing the coxswain course myself just for the experience or maybe to work on one of the local whale watch boats or similar but it seemed to be pretty expensive! Was I right?

There seems to be a few ways of doing it, through tafe it's around $1200.

• Like 1