Jewie bite

ginko

Picked up a just-legal jewie off the beach this week...  I dispatched/bled/scaled it and then gave it a rinse off in the surf.  

After a good wash, I lifted the fish by sticking my thumb in its mouth and pinching its lower jaw... Ouch!

I must have hit a nerve - the jaws clamped shut hard on my thumb, driving the little peg-teeth through my skin on both sides of the thumb, and crushing it a bit harder than I would have thought was funny at that moment. Thankfully, when I shook it off my thumb, the sea cooperated and didn't wash the fish away. 

Anyone else felt that pinch?

I actually have no idea about Jewfish in paticular but I am sure a similar thing happens with snakes and other animals. Snakes will bite and strike even when they are dead. People have died from snakes this way. If your Refering to the actual bite situation that caused the jaws to clamp shut I believe it is some reflex based thing that normally happens in the fishes mouth when a prey gets chomped on, the same muscle memory is activated.

Anyways make sure that the area that got hurt is clean. There are lots of bacteria in a fishes mouth. 

Strangely enough today i got bitten by a snapper and a bream holding them while scaling them over the side of the boat. The bream hurt a bit. I think if you used Iki Jimi or wait till the fish is properly dead it wont happen.

20190405_222237.jpg

Funny you should mention that, I was cleaning some freshly caught squid today (all dead) & as I grabbed its head with one finger near its tenticals I felt a pinch it’s beak had latched on, I instinctively flicked it off,  no blood but had an indentation, while cleaning the rest of them the mucus gave a slight stinging sensation and persisted even after several rinses in salt water. I’ve also had a dead tailor thrash around after taking one fillet off

Wow, seems I am indeed not alone in the dead fish bite club.  Hopefully I won't get ticket for the the dead snake bite club.

61Crusher -How long did you sting for? I was once nipped by a live cuttlefish on the thumb - it went numb (like really numb) for about 3 hours, only coming good just as I was about to head off to the hospital with what I thought would be a really lame "a cuttlefish bit me" story.  I still don't get near cuttlefish. 

Toilor 3,000,000, I did Ike Jimi the fish (and then bled it) . It still got me.  Interestingly, I also caught a few tailor on the same trip.  I noticed that the next day, that the tailor I'd ike jimi'ed were quite floppy, but the one that I'd only bled-out was stiff as a board with rigour mortis. Apparently sushi chefs insist on only iki jimi, then directly on ice, and then only serve the fish on the third day. Do you find a difference in the tenderness of the fish that are iki jimied?

On 4/5/2019 at 9:56 PM, ginko said:

Picked up a just-legal jewie off the beach this week...  I dispatched/bled/scaled it and then gave it a rinse off in the surf.  

After a good wash, I lifted the fish by sticking my thumb in its mouth and pinching its lower jaw... Ouch!

I must have hit a nerve - the jaws clamped shut hard on my thumb, driving the little peg-teeth through my skin on both sides of the thumb, and crushing it a bit harder than I would have thought was funny at that moment. Thankfully, when I shook it off my thumb, the sea cooperated and didn't wash the fish away. 

Anyone else felt that pinch?

I got bit by a live one a couple of years ago on the breakwall at Port Mac. It was about 6kg and i stuck my hand inside it's mouth to try to quickly grab and remove the hook inside it's mouth because i was in a hurry to get my hook back and cast a new bait while the school was there and didn't want to have to get my pliers out of the bag . The fish wash about 6kg. Lots of blood and a bit sore.

I have been bitten by dead fish on more than a few occasions over the years.

22 hours ago, ginko said:

61Crusher -How long did you sting for? I was once nipped by a live cuttlefish on the thumb - it went numb (like really numb) for about 3 hours, only coming good just as I was about to head off to the hospital with what I thought would be a really lame "a cuttlefish bit me" story.  I still don't get near cuttlefish

As I mentioned it was only slight, I still felt it a couple of hours later even after washing my hands with soap once home 

Years back I caught a bronzie off the beach which had taken my hooks in quite deep, the night had been heavy going on tailor steeling my hooks so I decided to slip my hand and part arm down its mouth to get the hooks back. I was pretty sure the shark was dead but something obviously triggered a jaw clamp down effect as I tried to remove the hooks. This opened my arm up on both sides just bellow the elbow, a story my wife had great pleasure telling people on how I was attacked by a dead shark.

• Haha 1