Burley

hatheadheaven

Have trawled through the topics and haven't come across one solely relating to burleying, so thought I might start one......

I have heard some people use boiled wheat, minced frames are good, old bait works, even dried cat food has been used by some, but what are your tips for attracting the fish? What sort of ingredients and techniques etc work for you? Is slow release better, or do you dump lots in hoping for a swarm to arrive?

Cheers

Simon

Have trawled through the topics and haven't come across one solely relating to burleying, so thought I might start one......

I have heard some people use boiled wheat, minced frames are good, old bait works, even dried cat food has been used by some, but what are your tips for attracting the fish? What sort of ingredients and techniques etc work for you? Is slow release better, or do you dump lots in hoping for a swarm to arrive?

Cheers

Simon

Greetings

I place all the guts and left overs from the fish in a ice cream container and then freeze it. On the boat i place the frozen stuff in a keepers net and hang it over the side of the boat. Works really well with the slimies and other bait fish.

And doesn cost you a cent.

P.S. Dont tell the miss that your placing guts in the fridge.

All the best.

My most common berley (except for seasickness) is just the fish frames from the last outing, these go into the berley bucket and mashed, and depending on what I am trying for, I add bread the the bucket as a filler, works well for yaka's.

Recently I have been making a few berley boms though, and been using them a bit in the estuary with good success - consists of bread, pilchards, and tuna oil. Chop the pilies up, mash the bread up with the pilies and a bit of water, add the tuna oil, mix some more, then spoon out into smallish plastic containers, and freeze. If I am planning on doing shore based fishing, I add some rocks so that I can throw the whole lot out and it sinks to the bottom and slowly releases the berley.

PS, I freeze mine in the beer fridge down the back - wouldnt dare put them in the main fridge :wife:

Adrian

Another good one is boiled rice mixed with a can of tuna in oil. You can even eat it yourself if you forgot to take lunch :1prop:

Ask Joe about lunch improvisation! He's been known to scoff a pilchard and even a nibble of squid on occasion :074::074:

Ask Joe about lunch improvisation! He's been known to scoff a pilchard and even a nibble of squid on occasion :074::074:

i've also heard of the occasional deckie going missing under suspicious circumstances :1prop:

as for the burley i use chook pellets and pillies in the burley bucket , then start throwing in a few yaka's once i have yaka's out as bait.

Edited by Outnumbered

Guest lbgking

5 cubed pilleys, 4 slices of bread, 1 Lt seawater and mash with potato masher (Don't tell :wife: ).

Go heavy early and if you start attracting undersiables , back the mix down by adding more water and pouring in the liquid. This still keeps the berley trail going but the sweep/toads/wrasse and other crap loose interest.