Bellambi Reds

GoingFishing

3 minutes ago, Mr Squidy said:

Great bag of reds!!

Interesting with what you say about the looped line around the pillies tail? Sounds like you would be rigging the pillie so you were pulling them backwards as you drift? Would have thought it would look more natural with the top hook through the pillies head and bottom hook into the tail. Otherwise looks like a good setup.

Cheers,

Rich

Thats right, the pillie would be drifting backwards. Good point though i will try rigging head first on my next trip and see if the strike rate increases. 

The half hitch around the tail is the way the "snapper rig" is usually set up, the snapper dont seem to mind it whatever way its rigged.

Always hook them "backwards" with a half hitch, far less chance of spinning than going head first, I tend to cut the Pilchard in half (delending on the size) and only use the tail for bait, the head becomes burley.

Edited by noelm
Typo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, frankS said:

Fish, birds and anything else swallow the fish head first so that the fins lay down, if they swallowed it tail first the fins would stop the meal from going down the throat.

Frank

Very good point Frank. So it seems the half hitch over the tail is correct then.