Species Target

Slawman

Hit the water around 8 this morning with my daughter.  I like to ask exactly the kids what we are going for before we leave to see if I can get some buy-in (does not always work).  Today we were going for Squid and Leather Jacket as my daughter loves both of them fried with a bit of flour.

Had a flick along the west side of the harbour for not much then hit a few (3) around the Obelisk;

Safe and sound in the tank.Squid.thumb.jpeg.eafb20a8768068d5104a6237cd8829fa.jpeg

Always have trouble dropping these things in as bait......as far as I am concerned they are prime dinner table fare but dropped one at the barrel and lost most of it to pickers before heading to Sow and Pigs for a few Leather jacket.  I swear these things are related to Piranha.....

Could not raise any Yakkas for the life of me??

Home for a great feed of Salt and Pepper Squid and LJ.  Truly underrated these LeatherJacket, what a sweet little morsel and no tiny bones either.... 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Is it true that seafood taken out of the WEST side of the harbour bridge is not to be consumed?

just read up on it and it says only caught from the east side are safe to eat.

Not trying to stir the pot, just thought Id put it out there. 

2 hours ago, Oz98 said:

Is it true that seafood taken out of the WEST side of the harbour bridge is not to be consumed?

just read up on it and it says only caught from the east side are safe to eat.

Not trying to stir the pot, just thought Id put it out there. 

You are quite correct.  My use of the term "west" in this case is a bit loose.  I was fishing at Obelisk beach close to middle head.  I would not eat anything caught too far upstream beyond the harbour bridge either.  Union Carbide has a lot to answer for....

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/recreational/fishing-skills/fishing-in-sydney-harbour

Edited by Slawman
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2019 at 8:14 PM, Slawman said:

You are quite correct.  My use of the term "west" in this case is a bit loose.  I was fishing at Obelisk beach close to middle head.  I would not eat anything caught too far upstream beyond the harbour bridge either.  Union Carbide has a lot to answer for....

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/recreational/fishing-skills/fishing-in-sydney-harbour

Do you think it would be okay still to eat seafood from caught from eastside even though they said its okay up to 150g?

On 6/10/2019 at 6:16 PM, Slawman said:

Today we were going for Squid and Leather Jacket as my daughter loves both of them fried with a bit of flour.

She's got good taste!

On 6/10/2019 at 6:16 PM, Slawman said:

.as far as I am concerned they are prime dinner table fare

Yes.. also my feelings.. I guess we need to catch more which makes the decision easier :) 

Sounds like some great school holiday fun and no doubt great memories for you both.