Fishing northern beaches nsw

scoggs1

Hi fishos, I planning to try beach fishing along the northern beach’s like whale beach, looking for any pointers what bait or lures to use, also what is the fishing like out there, I am not a very good fisho so any help would be great thanks.

Scott

Probably your best bet this time of the year will be Tailor, so some ganged hooks and Pilchards for bait, fish early morning and late afternoon in any gutters that have a bit of white water running over them, summer time use long shank hooks and Beach Worms for Whiting and Bream

Edited by noelm

Great location to learn mate.

I would say the northern beaches is one of the most productive fisheries in Sydney.

Head to the northern end of Manly beach, near the entrance of Manly lagoon.

Fish the run out tide. Take an onion bag or similar, fill it with old bread, a couple of cat food cans punctured to have openings approx 2cmx2cm, and anything else generally smelly such as fish frames. Take about 10m of rope and deploy the burley bag into the wash, you can put some rocks in there to keep it grounded and stop it washing back up into sand. On the run out tide this should draw the fish to your location from the reefs just off the northern end of Manly beach (visible in this image).  Make sure the burley bag is in the "wash zone" as the action of the waves is what will dislodge and spread the burley from the bag.

When your done, pull the onion bag back in and dispose in the nearest bin along with everything in it (hopefully burley used up so your not leaving smelly rubbish behind for the locals)

You can try this method on most of the northern beaches but I would recommend the same on the northern end of curl curl beach, where again there is some reef just wide of the headlands.

10-12 foot surf rod, running ball sinker and about 1.5m of leader. Try soaking a few baits and mix it up, prawns, pillies and fresh worms if you can find them. While your baits are soaking you can flick a plastic.

Also, if you can find the gutters that is important, the gutters will hold the fish and also provide a outflow for your burley.

Goodluck !

Screenshot_20190613-190543_Maps.jpg

Edited by GoingFishing
  • Like 1

Hey Scott. 

Noelm and GoingFishing are spot on. Pillies will do well and so will strip baits of salted down mullet or bonito are good for salmon, bream,  flatties and tailor. Early morning and late arvo during the low light periods are the go. Overcast days are the exception.

Try not to fish an overly heavy rig. If you find a nice gutter... Only fish a weight enough to get the bait out while keeping it mobile. Don't dismiss close to shore if there's a gutter there. Sometimes fish can be at your feet. Some gutters won't even hold fish. So it pays to try the whole beach and stay mobile.

I've done well in the past at palm and whale beach for shovelnose sharks and small bronzies in summer. Good on the chew and some nice sizeable fillets.

Burley definitely goes a long way.