Getting started with a fishing kayak

SydneyIsSkyBlue

Hi raiders,

Have been looking into getting myself a fishing kayak over the last few months but the major deterrent is the fact that I've never used one nor had any experience boating, use boat ramps to launch etc. All my fishing experience has predominantly been land based so I'd like to get myself out a little bit further on the kayak.

I've scoured the search bar for information before posting but can't seem to find a thread on essentially 'getting started' and what is required to have a bit of fun, but most importantly to be safe. Last thing I want to do is shell out for a kayak and then not have an idea what the hell I'm doing. Don't necessarily have a budget (happy to spend whatever, but my main priority is safety and ease of use). 

Has anyone got any recommendations for getting started and what the essentials are when new to kayaking? Any info would be greatly appreciated on this :)

Happy fishing!

G'day mate,

I can't offer you too much advice myself as I don't own a kayak but I have borrowed one many times. I found it much easier to launch from a calm bay where a park or sandy beach joins the water rather than a boat ramp.  It is beneficial as a beginner as you don't have to worry about getting in anyones way or being intimidated by high traffic areas. This will also allow you to learn how to manoeuvre a kayak before you head out in rougher conditions.

It also somewhat comes down to what you're targeting, but in general terms respect peoples property when on the water. For instance, if you don't have a very accurate cast I would be cautious casting into moorings / piers to avoid damaging property. But in saying that, this method can be very effective on the Kayak once you are consistent 😉.

Aside that, you will also have to give some consideration to how you secure it to your car if you need to travel.

It's a start, but hopefully some more experienced members can point you in the right direction.

Edited by slurm

It is worth looking for a second hand kayak on Gumtree/ebay etc as you can quite often get something set up with fish finder, paddle, seat etc for less than a new model. Length of the kayak will be dependent on storage space and where you intend to fish. If you want to go onto larger waterway and open ocean then something 4meters or more is recommended. For rivers etc the under 4meters will be fine. Also check the kayak can float you and all your gear with plenty of capacity to spare.

Possibly the most essential skill is being able to remount the kayak in deep water. If you can't do this you could end up in serious trouble faster than you realise. Take the kayak out a couple of times and get use to it before you start taking fishing gear. Jump off in water you can't stand in and try getting back on board. This will also help when mounting accessories as you will know which areas you need to keep clear.

Once you are ready to start fishing, keep it simple to start and leash everything. Rods, pliers, nets, etc etc. I think everyone I know who fishes from a kayak (including me) has lost stuff because they thought something would be fine. There are plenty of instructional pages on the internet for making your own, just pick something that suits you.

Try to get a kayak with internal storage and a decent dry bag for your wallet, phone, keys etc.

3 hours ago, SydneyIsSkyBlue said:

Hi raiders,

Has anyone got any recommendations for getting started and what the essentials are when new to kayaking? Any info would be greatly appreciated on this :)

Happy fishing!

Hi SISB.

This is a topic I've written up a few times for a number of mates. We still have a PM thread going in there somewhere. Can you PM me your email?

Alternately look at the response I sent to @JamoDamo on this thread:

Regards,

Derek

Edited by DerekD

start with a simple yak the internet cheapies are decent setup for the price, second hand is also a good option, start with short paddles in calm conditions and get some confidence

couple of things that'll make a big difference:

a compact inflatable PFD

,an extra cushion to sit on I've got a thin outdoor furniture one it makes a huge difference on a long paddle

, get a good quality paddle- if you buy one of the starter cheapies with the included accessories get a good quality paddle 220cm handle with a narrower blade shape makes tracking straight a lot easier (feel free make a good one)

limit your gear on the yak, always keep loose lures in a box otherwise you'll end up with loads of jewelry which leads to my next point a short handle environet so you can dehook your fish before you handle them it'll save you a lot of hooks embedded in you

other things to consider do you intend to fish small creeks that require a smaller yak and what fish do you target and do you catch and release or take fish home (handle on the yak and storage like an esky)

the most important thing is just do it

The guys above gave very good advice.

I would just add:

- Rent or borrow a 'sit on top' kayak for a few sessions in a calm place before buying -  so you can work out a bit of  your personal preferences,  assess your physical condition, or at least confirm if you like it before spending  money.

- There are plenty of useful topics about kayaking for beginners on this forum -  it is much easier to locate them using Google search (just add also word 'fishraider' in search) rather than  internal forum search function.

- Watch recovery techniques on YouTube and do get some practice on a kayak when you have a chance. 

-  Kayaks like fishing rods will not suit for ALL fishing conditions. Think where you would like to fish mostly and what is your budget- for more specific kayak advice to suit your needs.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is too late, but I just bought my first kayak for fishing. 
I bought a 4m single seat fishing yak with rudder. I bought the 4m to suit my size and I got the upgraded seat which is fab. 
have a look at this place. Great to deal with and very well priced for first kay

Edited by mrsswordfisherman
please PM shakey55 for link to company