Rod to pair with Stradic FL

RegentHoneyEater

Hi again,

The palomar is an excellent knot for terminal tackle such as swivels but I find it there is a little too much line wastage. Unless you are using clips, each time you change lures that leader will get shorter and shorter.

Try learning the uni (universal) knot. When you get that right you usually only end up trimming 10mm off the tag end. It is a slip knot so you don't have to tie it directly next to the lure. I might tie it 10-15cm up the line (keeps the hooks away from my hand when tying) and then gently slide it down to the lure. Be sure to test it and leave at least 5mm of tag when finished. I use 3 or 4 turns. With practice it is pretty easy to tie.

More information to come.

Derek

With a 2500 size stradic i'd be choosing a 2-4kg rod and something light, i currently use a Shimano Sahara X paired with a 2500 sedona and the combo is light as, fantastic for everything from bream on bait and tailor on Lures, to a simple small hook and bread for carp setup, i run 8lb braid with a 6lb leader have caught some stonker well over 50cm carp and 30+ tailor.

The rod is light and fairly reasonable priced, check out some local tackle stores around xmas normally go for about $80 on special, and learn to tie an FG knot or double Uni.

regards,

Hey there Squ!rt and Derek,

I will keep that information in mind. Will try to get those two knots learnt. There’s some great specials going on currently so I’ll try grab some gear. Any recommend lures and soft plastics? Haven’t had much luck on them except a nice flathead. Getting more inclined to bait however it is a lot more fun on the lures.

Thanks!

I assume one of the freshwater fish you will be chasing is bass. The following is a shopping list based on what I use. Feel free to mix and match it up as you go along. Most of the stuff will be interchangeable between salt and fresh water.

Celta spinner - 2 per pack for about $10. Get the size 3 (5gm) for the extra casting distance. Cast out and wind it back as slowly as you can without snagging up. My best session with one of these was 21 bass in 1 hour.

The sugapen in 70 - about $23. Suggest silver bait fish and a semi-translucent. Has to be worked with a sharp stutter tip wobble to get the walk the dog effect. Will work with both fresh and salt water.

Duolock clips and swivels to match. Total under $10. Make sure they are compact with a nice loop but still stronger than your line rating.

Halco twisty 10gm in silver. About $6. Very effective when pelagics are feeding on the surface. I change the trebles out for a Gamakatsu large eye single hook in about a size #1 or #2 as it is a stronger hook and easier to remove when the fish is jumping around. Use these with the swivel and snap mentioned above to reduce line twist from the lure.

For plastics I'd suggest some 2" grubs and 3" and 4" minnows (matches profile of most bait fish). I use Berkley Power Bait and Power Grubs as they play well together but I don't mix different brands in the same box as some don't play well with each other. Z-mans are notorious for this. One of the different brands will start to melt away.

Stay away from Berkley gulps. In principle they are genius - a biodegradable, edible lure. In practice the liquid in the bags can leak out and make a mess and the lures dry up.

Paddle tails and wriggle tails can be very effective as they generate their own movement. Squidgy make a nice range but bang for buck not brilliant.

For the 2" grubs I use Gamakatsu 211 ball head jigs 1/8oz with a size #1 or #2 hook. You'll probably have to order these in specially.

For the 3" minnow I like TT bullet head tournament jig heads: 1/8oz #1H hook for subtle presentation 1/6oz #1H for a balance between distance and sink rate or the 1/4oz #1H for when I am chasing pelagics or covering distance. In Sydney we could be fishing for flathead and end up with a king on the line which is why I have a preference for the H (heavy gauge) hooks rather than the fine ones.

For the 4" minnow I like the TT bullet head tournament jig heads: 1/4oz #1/0H hook.

Swing past Daiso (Japanese bargains) store and pick up a flip top plastic box with several compartments to store the various jig heads in. Most bargain shops will probably have something similar.

For storage of the plastics leave them in their original bags till you need one. I put these bags in a bigger bag.

Ecogear ZX40 - about $19. A very effective blade type lure once you work out how to fish them. Don't fish them in snaggy areas. Working these across sandy bottoms will pick up a variety of species. I have a black one, the bamboo one and some shiny ones.

Depending on how you are going with your budget we can continue further but the above is a good starting point without going overboard.

The straighter you rig your plastics the better they will swim.

Regards,

Derek

PS - suggest you stay away from ultralight lures till you get familiar with your gear. If you don't wind on the line under tension there is a good chance you will get the odd birds nest or two. Rarely an issue with 1/8oz and above and the woven braids that are available these days..

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hey again Derek,

Thanks a lot for all the information! 

I’ll start grabbing the above products, I want to try use more lures as I use plastics more often. I’ve been using the Zman ‘3 pearl minnows. 
I also have a few frogs and a small spinner. I’m hesitant to use lures cause I always feel like I’m going to be snagging them lol. I think the above is definitely enough for now.

Thanks so much! 

• 7 months later...
On 11/27/2019 at 10:09 PM, DerekD said:

Hi RHE,

Braid generally over tests so my advice would be to go lighter as you will notice the difference in casting distance and if you get your knots right the strength is pretty impressive. For example I've been using Berkley X5 in white recently on a couple of my reels. While the American rating on the box is 4lb it also lists the rating under the Japanese testing system as 11lbs.

In your case I'd probably fish a skinny 6lb braid. A couple of my mates are loving the Daiwa J-braid. I haven't used it but I have set a couple of mates up on the Shimano Kairiki (about $30). I've landed kingfish to 70cm on this gear (2500 reel with 2-4kg rod) so once you learn how to fish it you'll be pretty impressed at what it is capable of. One of my mates was really surprised at the difference a lighter braid made on casting distance. I was out-casting him by 3 to 5m. Might not sound like a lot but if I multiple this by 40m (20m to the left and 20m to the right of where I stand) I'm potentially fishing another 120m² to 200m² more area than him. When you spool up make sure you have sufficient backing so that the braid sits just below the lower lip of the spool.

For years I've been recommending the Shimano Raider Bream Finesse 762 2-4kg 3-12gm and at a price point of about $100 if you shop around (try site sponsor Dinga). Recently I have been trying the Frogley Atomic ArrowZ range of rods and been impressed at them. Suggest you look at the Estuary Series and in particular the AS-270UL VSSM 7' 2-piece Spin 3 - 10lb 3 - 14g. Currently I've been seeing them at around $140. A few of my mates are using the Jewel range and really like them. I prefer a short butt as the longer one bumps up against my arm when I am fishing lures with the rod tip down. 7 foot or longer for tip speed and hence casting distance. 1 guide for every foot length of rod plus one more. For example a 7 foot rod should have 8 guides. An ergonomic handgrip as you will be doing a lot of casting.

Just some things to think about.

Regards,

Derek

Good recommendation on the Atomic Arrowz series, Derek. I have been using the lighter version of the one you recommended and it has been a great rod for hard body lures, thanks to its whippy and sensitive tip. However, I found it not stiff enough to set the hook when i fished with soft plastics. In fact, i have been thinking of upgrading it to either the one you mentioned (arrowz estuary 270ul) or the arrowz bream surface rod 270bs. Have you by any chance tried both? Which one is a better all-rounder lure fishing rod in your opinion? Thanks.  

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 9:53 PM, JamesH said:

Good recommendation on the Atomic Arrowz series, Derek. I have been using the lighter version of the one you recommended and it has been a great rod for hard body lures, thanks to its whippy and sensitive tip. However, I found it not stiff enough to set the hook when i fished with soft plastics. In fact, i have been thinking of upgrading it to either the one you mentioned (arrowz estuary 270ul) or the arrowz bream surface rod 270bs. Have you by any chance tried both? Which one is a better all-rounder lure fishing rod in your opinion? Thanks.  

Hi @JamesH.

I now own 4 of the ArrowZ rods. The ultra light (AAS-270SUL), the bream surface (AAS-270BS 2-12g), one of the Snapper rods (AAS-270H) and recently the 9 foot (ShoreSpin 9', 2 pc, 14 - 25lb AAS-290SS).

You are right that the light version is excellent for the hardbodies and so is the bream surface. I'm loving them both for surface lures like the Sugapen. Unfortunately the way that the supplier sets up their website you have to jump around to find a few of the rods. I set two friends up with the 270UL and if I knew about it at the time I probably would have jumped over the bream surface and gone that way too. I don't think you will go far wrong with either but in my case sometimes I fish up a little off the water and that slightly stronger backbone of the estuary gives me a little more confidence if I have to dead lift a fish out of the water. I also like the slightly heavier lure rating for punching out lures such as size 3 squid jigs (about 14 gram).

If you get the chance watch Australian Sand Flats fishing. He gives the ArrowZ rods range a reel (pun intended) work out.

Hope this helps.

Derek

On 7/17/2020 at 10:20 PM, DerekD said:

Hi @JamesH.

I now own 4 of the ArrowZ rods. The ultra light (AAS-270SUL), the bream surface (AAS-270BS 2-12g), one of the Snapper rods (AAS-270H) and recently the 9 foot (ShoreSpin 9', 2 pc, 14 - 25lb AAS-290SS).

You are right that the light version is excellent for the hardbodies and so is the bream surface. I'm loving them both for surface lures like the Sugapen. Unfortunately the way that the supplier sets up their website you have to jump around to find a few of the rods. I set two friends up with the 270UL and if I knew about it at the time I probably would have jumped over the bream surface and gone that way too. I don't think you will go far wrong with either but in my case sometimes I fish up a little off the water and that slightly stronger backbone of the estuary gives me a little more confidence if I have to dead lift a fish out of the water. I also like the slightly heavier lure rating for punching out lures such as size 3 squid jigs (about 14 gram).

If you get the chance watch Australian Sand Flats fishing. He gives the ArrowZ rods range a reel (pun intended) work out.

Hope this helps.

Derek

Thank you for your reply, Derek.

I did followed that channel and have learned a lot from the host. He highly recommended the bream surface version for fishing in flats. However, it seems the 270 ul might have the slight edge over it, as it is more flexible with line weight and lure cast weight, like you pointed out. Anyway, I will find time to try both them out in the tackle shop. Thanks again for sharing your view. 

• Like 1