7 nights 6 days in Swains Reef, what gear?

Stino

Hi all, just seeking advice on what hardware and tackle I should take on my swains charter mid next year. Will be hopefully pulling fish out of the deeps, GT’s of the reefs and tuna and mackerel where we find them.

currently have a few rods I was going to take

penn reload 8ft 24kg popper rod with a 10500 penn slammer III, 80lb code red

penn battalion 5ft jig 24kg with a 8000 penn conflict 65lb code red

shimano terez 7ft 30-50lb with a 12000 thunnus  baitrunner, 65lb power pro

shimano backbone 24kg with a Tyrnos 20, 85lb power pro

Gansel custom boat rod with a tld 20, 30lb mono

shimano jewel jig stick with a curado 300E, 30lb wft hybrid braid

So any and all advice for or against my selection and also terminal tackle and lures for the trip and quantities of those.

Been a long time in the planning and now cant wait for this experience so I want to optimise my time up there and don’t want to go in under gunned or run out of tackle.

cheers guys

I’d find out what gear the charter provides. Often they have some very good quality gear. Then, take a couple (only) of your favourite outfits. When I fished Lord Howe Island years ago, I took my 15kg game outfit and a 4-6kg spin outfit. Then I added in a box full of lures and terminal tackle. The charter had 24 and 37kg game outfits but most of the time, my 15kg outfit was fine. Had a lot of fun on the 4kg spin outfit but I did lose a few kings! Charters will normally prefer you to fish the heavier tackle so (a) you don’t spend too much time on a fish, so they can get their clients more; and (b) so you don’t lose too much of their gear. If you’re providing all the terminal tackle on your lighter outfits, they’re likely to be more willing to let you fish them. Also, be aware of the added hassles and costs of transporting multiple rods and gear on the plane. LHI had a 15kg luggage limit, so I posted a box of lures and terminal tackle ahead a couple of months before (sea mail takes up to 6 weeks).

The charter runs 4 x 4m tinnies so we won’t be off the main boat most of the time. They only supply bait and some basic hand lines. We have to supply basically all our own gear from rods, through to line lures and terminal tackle! My theory will be basically overkill! 13+ hrs away from the nearest bit of land let alone a tackle shop. So if I run out of gear that’s not good. Plus a bonus is I don’t have I fly so gear quantity hopefully not an issue. 

57 minutes ago, Stino said:

The charter runs 4 x 4m tinnies so we won’t be off the main boat most of the time. They only supply bait and some basic hand lines. We have to supply basically all our own gear from rods, through to line lures and terminal tackle

Wow, that's pretty harsh for a charter that I would imagine is costing a fair bit of coin :dollarsign::dollarsign:

Then again I went on a charter once & they said the 1st knife jig is free & once lost subsequent jigs would be $25 a pop.

That's when it starts adding up!

Im like you Stino, I like to take all my own gear on charters, I know it, I know my knots/rigs etc & I don't have to ask if its ok to handle something.

Mind you if someone said here use this Shimano T curve GT special with the Stella 18000 then yeh Id have to have a go at that as its something I would never buy myself.

Have a great trip man, take plenty of pics for us please  :fisher: