South Coast advice

steeevooo

Heya Raiders :)

So I'm planning on taking my little boat down to the south coast over the holidays.

Will be based at a friend's place near Moruya.

Would really love to try fishing Montague Island, but is it a safe/realistic idea to take my small runabout out there?
It's a 15ft Stessl with a 60hp on it.

Have read that the bar crossing at Narooma is quite dangerous, is there any safe place to get a small boat out there?
Not keen on trying the crossing, nowhere near confident enough in my little rig if conditions aren't dead calm.

Any advice on other places to try down there would be very appreciated.

Ideally keen to head out and target kings, but open to other suggestions for areas worth trying and species to target :)

The weather patterns these days tend to be far less dangerous on the bar than years ago, not that you don't need to be very cautious, its just less often that it gets very dangerous.

If there's a good settled period in the weather and you can time the tide to avoid the run out tide, then yes no probs getting to the island. Running back through a bar is far easier as you run with the waves. Taking the time to have good long look at the conditions from the break wall is worth while as is checking with local marine rescue and other weather reports (fishmanger is one of my favourites).

If there is a strong current running at the island certain areas can become quite choppy from pressure waves. These shouldn't be to much of a problem if you use caution (or simply stay away from those strong rips).

For the record I find Moruya bar more tricky than Montague.

Like jonD said time your crossings with the tide, I have crossed it when it’s  like a lake in the morning and breaking 2m waves on a run out on return. So my advice simply check swell predictions and tide and once 50m clear of the wall your all clear. And also like JonD said the currents there at times can create a bizarre pyramid cross current wave especially on the southern end of montegue. If you on your game and linger on the outer edge it produces good fish especially the kings when they are there, just don’t drift into the guts of it it is nasty, wish I had footage of the day we fished it. Looked like 3+m pyramids rising out of the sea. Moruya isn’t too bad if you hang left in the channel then push north east out of the wall. And at worst case launch at hanging rockin the Batemans Bay the bar there is really sheltered in the back of the delta, can still produce waves and is shallow on the low but the better of the 3 if conditions no good south. I can give you some marks north of the bay and off Moruya, used to be my local but 13hrs north now.

Edited by Stino

3 hours ago, JonD said:

The weather patterns these days tend to be far less dangerous on the bar than years ago, not that you don't need to be very cautious, its just less often that it gets very dangerous.

If there's a good settled period in the weather and you can time the tide to avoid the run out tide, then yes no probs getting to the island. Running back through a bar is far easier as you run with the waves. Taking the time to have good long look at the conditions from the break wall is worth while as is checking with local marine rescue and other weather reports (fishmanger is one of my favourites).

If there is a strong current running at the island certain areas can become quite choppy from pressure waves. These shouldn't be to much of a problem if you use caution (or simply stay away from those strong rips).

For the record I find Moruya bar more tricky than Montague.

Hi JonD many years ago when the bar was too shallow or it was big run out in the morning we used to launch at Mystery Bay south end ramp (with a panel van and 15' glass boat) there was a worse quality ramp at the north end but 4wd only. Can you still launch from there? Just wondering- not going to. 

Thanks Waza

Some great advice thanks guys!

I'll have a think about the island, maybe doing some fishing in the rivers and bays etc is a better idea and then going on a charter to the island before considering taking my own boat out there. 

Local knowledge & advice is always so valuable :)

Stino, some marks would be amazing! 
I'll send you a message. 

Coming into this time of year where NE winds are going to be more prevalent, launching at Bermi is probably a good option in your little boat. Go nice and early in the morning and work home with the wind when it comes up around 11 am.

A nice easy troll home wider for bonnies and stripies, possibly even a stray marlin or along the beach for tailor.

On 12/17/2019 at 9:44 PM, wazatherfisherman said:

Hi JonD many years ago when the bar was too shallow or it was big run out in the morning we used to launch at Mystery Bay south end ramp (with a panel van and 15' glass boat) there was a worse quality ramp at the north end but 4wd only. Can you still launch from there? Just wondering- not going to. 

Thanks Waza

I'm not sure if anyone uses that as a launch site anymore, it is open but the wooden timberwork is either gone on under the soft sand.

16 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Whats wrong with bermagui

Bermi is a good option most of the time, however it is a long run to Monty. Funny enough Bermi isn't considered a bar crossing so you don't need to wear lifejackets, though it's still a good idea to.

Edited by JonD

On 12/17/2019 at 9:44 PM, wazatherfisherman said:

Thanks Waza

Ok thanks it would be over 20 years since we were launching from Mystery, just wondered if the ramps were still there

12 hours ago, JonD said:

I'm not sure if anyone uses that as a launch site anymore, it is open but the wooden timberwork is either gone on under the soft sand.

Bermi is a good option most of the time, however it is a long run to Monty. Funny enough Bermi isn't considered a bar crossing so you don't need to wear lifejackets, though it's still a good idea to.

In the last couple of years i've seen Bermi get pretty ordinary. Its all to do with the direction of the swell there. If it comes from a certain direction it will break well wide of the actually opening and roll all the way across and slam into the main rock wall.

Not a pretty place to be when you get cut off by some clown who then decides to stop mid way 🤬

• 9 months later...

So a casual 10 months later, post fires and lockdowns, this trip is finally happening :)

Heading down towards the end of this month for a few weeks, staying in Moruya. 
Really looking forward to exploring, boating, & fishing around the area. 

On the plus side I've spent much more time off shore now and way more confident in heading out to Montague Island.

Will observe weather and pick our days, and which bar crossing to take on. 

@JonD and @Stino the advice about the conditions around the island was really valuable, thanks for that. After looking at charts... no wonder there can be unusual conditions there. These are some impressive rises, wow. 

If there are choppy sections we'll just avoid them and I'm sure we'll have a great time fishing other spots around the island anyway. 

Haven't seen much in the way of recent reports, but I'm assuming Oct/Nov should be a decent time of year to give it a try.

sth of montague.JPG

4 hours ago, steeevooo said:

And if the weather is too shonky overall then we'll just try some of the rivers or bays. Does anyone have any thoughts on which would be fishing well this time of year?

The lads at the ocean hut ( complete angler Narooma ) fish Wagonga regularly and most likely the best place for info on that one, in saying that my daughter did get a few flathead last weekend after her charter was cancelled due to poor weather. Two of her flathead were pretty chunky, with the biggest hitting 91cm.