Prawn Trawlers Gone

damariboyz

Prawn trawlers gone from Sydney harbour. I dont care what excuse they use. Chemical contamination my arse. Good-bye boy's it was only a matter of time. A mate of mine works in the canberra office told me of this decision 3weeks ago. We as :1fishing1: can now look forward to the 6-10 kg of bycatch per tonne of Prawns instead of have it fed to the scrap eaters.

Not before time

Russ

A mate of mine works in the canberra office told me of this decision 3weeks ago.

Russ

G'day Russ

Did your mate give you a reason for the decision to put a stop to prawning in the Parra?

I heard it on Hi-Tide this morning and then the different scenarios started up like, "if the prawns are contaminated the fish that eat the prawns would be also. Which would mean a complete closure of fishing in the mid-upper Parra." :1prop:

It will be interesting to hear the real story. :biggrin2:

cheers

Hooky

G'day Russ

Did your mate give you a reason for the decision to put a stop to prawning in the Parra?

I heard it on Hi-Tide this morning and then the different scenarios started up like, "if the prawns are contaminated the fish that eat the prawns would be also. Which would mean a complete closure of fishing in the mid-upper Parra." :1prop:

It will be interesting to hear the real story. :biggrin2:

cheers

Hooky

I was told that it will be part of the buy back announced last week, however it would be described as what it was today. A health risk. I do feel for anyone who looses their livelyhood, as it affects family units and for that I feel for these folks. But my word is they wont be back.

Russ

Guest bluecod

Funny the Feds [Canberra] getting involved - Sydney Harbour/Parramatta River is predominantly under State control as is State Health. Without further info on the subject, it is much more likely to be part of State buy-back - or forerunner to establishing a Marine Park.

Funny the Feds [Canberra] getting involved - Sydney Harbour/Parramatta River is predominantly under State control as is State Health. Without further info on the subject, it is much more likely to be part of State buy-back - or forerunner to establishing a Marine Park.

Once again Bluecod you are spot-on.

Its about time that they addressed the dioxin levels present in the prawns in sydney.I think that as time goes by and the true scale of what was going on at the union carbide site comes out we will be seeing fish restrictions going further down the river.Either way the shit is accumulative and it is a matter of time before the legal eagles get a wind of potential legal fees from diseases linked to it.

I also beleive that it is one of the main reasons as to why they bought out all the pro licenses in botany bay.What with the crap coming out of the Orica site and let alone the heavy metals in the cooks river there were some very long term issues with accumulating toxins.

I still remember when one company put in a tender to mine the heavy metals in the cooks.That one was fizzer ,thats for sure!!.

Simon

I know one of the policy advisers who works with Ian Macdonald (NSW minister for primary industries) who has told me that the homebush area of the Parra river is closed not only to prawn trawlers but to all fishing - i.e. recreational and commercial.

He confirms that it is due to dioxin levels.

I assume that catch and release is still OK, but he couldn't confirm.

One thing's for sure - I wouldn't be in a hurry to eat anything I pulled out of the upper reaches of either Sydney Harbour or Botany. Just think of how bad the poisoning must be to cause our state pollies to get off their arses and actually close a fishery.