Nepean Bass (Camden)

Jbrace

Hey guys , recently moved from Sutherland shire to Oran Park . I've been going back to Botany to fish every time with my Tinny and I will always do that as I'm a keen Bream fisherman . But sometimes I wish I could just go somewhere 5 mins down the road and Chuck a lure in without the travel. Well turns out this part of the Nepean river is literally 5 mins from my house, obviously I would fish it landbased but is it even worth my time ? Does anyone know if I could get a bass landbased from under the bridge or anything to keep me occupied one arvo a week .

(Also I have used the search function and lots of posts from a while ago and more so towards the bypass bridge , so wondering if anyone has been recently and if I can get them here or I gotta drive down to the bypass .

Cheers legends !! 

IMG_20200226_194136.jpg

Yes very possible to get land based fish especially around the weirs. You can fish under the bridge you'll see the spot theres usually someone fishing for carp.        Trouble is if you want to cover some ground it is 

pretty hard terrain in some areas. Also remember bass season is usually snake season and they also like the river.

Obviously Kayak is the way to go and it doesn't need to be too flash. Ive had a reasonable season of late between your photo and Douglas Park, but haven't had an outing since the rains. Most fish i get are on cicada lures or small spinner baits.

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, swano said:

Yes very possible to get land based fish especially around the weirs. You can fish under the bridge you'll see the spot theres usually someone fishing for carp.        Trouble is if you want to cover some ground it is 

pretty hard terrain in some areas. Also remember bass season is usually snake season and they also like the river.

Obviously Kayak is the way to go and it doesn't need to be too flash. Ive had a reasonable season of late between your photo and Douglas Park, but haven't had an outing since the rains. Most fish i get are on cicada lures or small spinner baits.

Good luck.

Cheers legends! Not too worried about covering heaps of ground to be honest , was just looking for somewhere local I could Chuck a lure in and see if I have any luck when im bored at home and don't have to drive an hour and drop the boat in! I'll suss out under the bridge tomorrow . I don't have any spinners but could pick some up no worries , I do have 3 cicada lures though and a bunch of other surface lures I use for bream fishing so I'll take them with me tomorrow and see how I go under the bridge and I'll keep an eye out for snakes !

Hey Jbrace.  Fish that spot a lot when ive got a few hours to spare. Have hauled in some good bass and monster carp which are great fun on light gear. Its even better from a kayak. Seem to have most success on lipless crankbaits and at times have cast for over an hour before hooking up. As mentioned above watch for snakes had a close encounter with a red belly once. Good luck hope you get amongst them.

2 hours ago, jordy said:

Hey Jbrace.  Fish that spot a lot when ive got a few hours to spare. Have hauled in some good bass and monster carp which are great fun on light gear. Its even better from a kayak. Seem to have most success on lipless crankbaits and at times have cast for over an hour before hooking up. As mentioned above watch for snakes had a close encounter with a red belly once. Good luck hope you get amongst them.

Awesome man, I've got heaps of cranks in my bream collection so I'll throw a few things around this arvo and see if I have any luck but you guys have given me hope there's some fish in there ! I'm just stoked there's somewhere 5 mins away I can throw a line in! I've never actually caught a carp or even attempted to fish for one. Would a carp snap me off on my bream gear? 

Chartreuse a winning lure colour i find there. Mate Ive hooked carp up to metre long,  there pretty much un-beatable on the light gear they run you into the bridge,  also lost a brand new baitcast outfit i foolishly left unnattended. I use a six kilo outfit, light running sinker and quality no.6 circle hooks. Tin of sweet corn for bait throw a small handfull every half hour and thread some up the hook leaving barb exposed. Watch the rod carefully the bite is subtle when i detect the bite i lower rod when the line starts to take off I lift and set the hook and the fun begins. Enjoy and have fun.