Shimano Baitrunner 6500 Or Penn Captiva

puls8

Just wanting opinions as to which reel would be a better suit my situation. The reel will be used mainly for livebaiting but i would still like to be able to use it for spinning for mackeral etc. My only problem with the shimano is that the gear ration is a tad small. Havent heard much about the penn but they do have a great reputation and are also alot lighter. Stats for the reels are as follows:

Shimano 6500b 4.2-1 490m/12lb

Penn CLL6000 5.2-1 225yd/16lb

Thanks for the advice

Guest hottuna

Just wanting opinions as to which reel would be a better suit my situation. The reel will be used mainly for livebaiting but i would still like to be able to use it for spinning for mackeral etc. My only problem with the shimano is that the gear ration is a tad small. Havent heard much about the penn but they do have a great reputation and are also alot lighter. Stats for the reels are as follows:

Shimano 6500b 4.2-1 490m/12lb

Penn CLL6000 5.2-1 225yd/16lb

Thanks for the advice

I`ve had a good play with both reels and although the captiva is a honest product for the bucks, you`ll be hard pressed trying to find a better alrounder than the 6500btr that is why they`re so very popular. Requires little in the way of servicing, a tough old reel.

A tss4 would be a better spin reel capable of live baiting

Tread very carfully when you way up hours spent fishing versus lots of (no offence) cheap ball beaings found in alot of reels under $100 these days. ;)

Dan