bait caster drag issue

James  Clain

When drag is pulled a way from the spool and the line is on the opposite side to the small level wind eyelet on the reel the line gets turned at a really sharp angle creating a lot of tension an non smooth drag performance. The bait casters were not overly expensive but I did spend a fair amount of money on them. Is the level wind meant to follow the line as the drag is being pulled out? I have a much bigger level wind overhead that reverses when the line leaves the spool. 

I would be happy to chase big fish with them but I am just worried that the line will break as soon as I wind so the eylet goes left and the braid on the spool is off to the right. 

Depends on the reel. Some baitcasters level wind disengages on the cast to reduce friction and improve distance. They are generally reels with narrow spools. 
Those that don’t, you don’t wind loose line after fishing through the level wind, but tie a loop and hook it onto part of the reel. That way the line on the reel and your level wind always remain in sync. 

If yours isn’t, you can either try and realign it or remove the line and wind it back on. 

12 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

Depends on the reel. Some baitcasters level wind disengages on the cast to reduce friction and improve distance. They are generally reels with narrow spools. 
Those that don’t, you don’t wind loose line after fishing through the level wind, but tie a loop and hook it onto part of the reel. That way the line on the reel and your level wind always remain in sync. 

If yours isn’t, you can either try and realign it or remove the line and wind it back on. 

The levelwind does not move when drag is being pulled.