New to the Gong

Scooter81

Hi Guys 

Have relocated from the Sunshine Coast to Wollongong to keep my job while this whole covid fiasco continues,  plan on doing a fair bit of fishing and surfing to keep my sanity. Experienced fisho , although have had a break for a while so keen to explore the area and get right back into it. 

Love chasing whitting/flatties on poppers , chasing squid and on a mission to land my first jew on an artificial ,  have very limited experience fishing the stones and break walls ( surfed my whole life so can read the ocean and respect how dangerous it can be )  but really keen to change that.

So just after some general ideas on what kind of fish are around this time of year and maybe some areas to try , not chasing your spots just after an  idea of what kind of water/structure to look for when I'm exploring up and down the coast and def keen to learn more about fishing ledges/Headlands/Break walls etc so I'd be keen to find a fishing partner as well , I know how to keep my mouth shut 🤣

I'm thinking Tailor , Salmon , Jew , squid  and other pelagics are what I'll be chasing from the stones and hopefully some Ting on poppers.... 

Any info would be greatly appreciated 

Cheers 🤙🤙

We're coming into Snapper season now and the Squid season is on right now. You can get Squid off the break wall or jetty at Bellambi or you go on the North side of Wollongong Harbour. Port Kembla break walls are closed and so is Bass Point but you can get Bonito and Salmon off Hill 60 rocks. 

I believe Windang Beach is good for Whiting. Flathead are still around in shallow sands and i believe they are still catching them in the lake as well. 

If you can get yourself a Kayak you can go alright jigging plastics for all kinds of pelagics off the break walls at Port Kembla

Edited by recurve

Fishing the stones at this time of year means blackfish a good option. In our chat form there is a sticky for best ever tips for blackfishing which will give you lots of ideas about how to target and fish for them.

Look for rock platforms that have plenty of cabbage growing. As the tide rises, look for how the waves wash over the cabbage and where the water drains back into the ocean. The blackfish will be waiting there for a feed, as will other fish like bream, drummer, jewfish, snapper and groper.

Surface fish like tailor and salmon etc also like to hunt in the milky water  that washes out from these sorts of spots too.

All the best.

KB